Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I understand that my back button problem is a Firefox thing, but does anyone know what I can do to correct it? The Tortoise Forum is the only place where this problem exists.

When I log onto the forum through Firefox, and view today's posts, I like to click the back button, which will take me back to the page where my unread posts are highlighted. Actually there are many other reasons why I choose to use the back button each time and not hit the view today's posts button again. But after I've done this a couple times, it fails to work. The program doesn't recognize that I've asked to be taken back a screen, and just stays on the same screen.

If I log in with the big "E", the problem doesn't exist. But I really HATE internet explorer.

What to do?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have had issues in the past with internet explore and firefox, now I use google chrome and I have been happy with it, I use the back button a lot also and would hate if i had to also press the view new post..

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I have internet explore and have the same problem. This forum is also the only place that it does this.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Google Chrome is a good browser to use. It's fairly new and of course...it's google powered :D

Try that browser. It's free too.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I always use Explorer, and the back button NEVER works for me on this forum. No action at all, just stays on the current screen.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Hey! I have the same problem.... when I hit back I have to click it a few times for it to work... otherwise it sits there and does nothing. I am also using firefox...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I use Firefox but I always open a new window to view a new thread myself. I can't use google for personal reasons.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have to hit the back button 3 times for it to work on TFO and only TFO. I have Linux and Mozilla Firefox I think. I mean I know I have Linux but I don't know the rest of it. Guess I should pay more attention...:)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
There is also a security purposes why the back button does not always work on some sites.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Interesting that so many are having an issue. I use FF and have no trouble. It's one of two things. A coding problem with the forum(i doubt it) or a settings problem with peoples computers (far more likely). I'll look around FF options and see if i can figure it out. If you aren't current then updating to FF 5.0 may help or may not. lol

Workaround - Hover mouse over thread to be opened, right click and either open in new window or open in new tab, when you are done close that tab or window and you will still have the "New Posts"Screen.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Zouave said:
Interesting that so many are having an issue. I use FF and have no trouble. It's one of two things. A coding problem with the forum(i doubt it) or a settings problem with peoples computers (far more likely). I'll look around FF options and see if i can figure it out. If you aren't current then updating to FF 5.0 may help or may not. lol

Workaround - Hover mouse over thread to be opened, right click and either open in new window or open in new tab, when you are done close that tab or window and you will still have the "New Posts"Screen.

That's what I do with Chrome. Could it be a cache issue?

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
FernandoM said:
Zouave said:

That's what I do with Chrome. Could it be a cache issue?

Could be and the answer isn't smacking me in the face so I'll bow out and recommend waiting for a higher ranking guru. :p

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Have any of you tried clearing your cache and cookies?

I also use Linux and Firefox and have never had that issue.

Also, there are ads that reload on these pages. When you hit the back button and nothing happens, it actually did reload the ad from previously. Depending on how long you are on the page and length of the page, that ad could have changed quite a few times, hence having to hit the button 3 or 4 times before it works. It think this might be the issue alot of you are having. It's working, just not how it normally does for you.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I've always suggested here, that people clear their cache and temp internet files from their browsers. It seems to solve much of the internet browser problems.

This is general but I'm sure most browsers are the same:

Tools>Internet options>delete temporary internet files/cookies/cache

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since I posted this thread Josh turned me on to GOOGLE chrome. I'm completely happy with it and have learned to like it BETTER than FireFox!

Watermelon

5 Year Member
I am on firefox, when I'm on this website and if I press the back button it takes about 2 mins to load for some stupid reason. I have fast internet too!

Status
Not open for further replies.