Thanking God I have the option to ask a question online :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
I, for one, had never seen one. Until that photo. My eyes are still burning.

[/quote]

LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL ERIKAAAAA,

You are sooo funny!!!!

Terry Allan Hall said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
To answer your question:

We mammals have different openings for the different functions - three in females (anal, urine, and genital), and only two in males (anal and urogenital).

In both sexes of reptiles and birds, however, all three channels converge on one opening known as the cloaca (Latin for "sewer"). This is why many reptiles and birds seem to have white feces - it's actually a combination of feces and whitish urine (urate).

It's much the same way for the genitals: both males and females have a cloaca under their tail, which they use for mating. Turtles, like many animals, copulate by the male mounting the female. Because of the shell, the male must have a very long copulatory organ. This is why female turtles have short tails, while male turtles have long tails, as well a long penis. They need to reach around their own shell, and the female's shell, and be able to maintain the copulatory tie for several minutes.

So, the male climbs the female's carapace, lowers his long tail, and protrudes his member through the cloaca, to reach the female's cloaca. The male may vocalize during this time before dismounting. Then, once mating is done, the male and female go their separate ways. And that's how tortoises mate.

Parenting handbooks suggest that you're supposed to start this explanation out with "Sometimes, when a Daddy-tortoise and a Mommy-tortoise love each other very much..." ;)

WOW TERRY…..Thank you for that very well written explanation. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Am loving this thread: educational AND hilarious!!! :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.