Thanking God I have the option to ask a question online :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
Here it goes---> For the past two days Carlos has been after Carla if you know what i mean….ANYWAYYYYYY, my question is (((thinking of way to word this))) …………………..ok, ok so I got kind of close to them when Carlos seemed to be at his "happiest" and it seemed to me that he was using his tail to complete "THE DEED" so does that mean his tail is multi-fuctional or is he a twisted confused tort lacking natural instincts???? :D;):cool:

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I don't understand your question. Many tortoises tail-wag right before defecating (many snakes do it, too!).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
emysemys said:
No, but he has to point his tail in order to make the "works" go in the right direction. Have you never see flagging? Take a look at this picture:

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2007/04/29/terrifying-sex-organs-of-male/

So he would point his tail like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/halbrindley/2754024581/

Then once he was in the right spot, the penis would come out like in the first picture.

HOLY BIG BIRD!!!!!!!! GGGGEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ I HAD NOOOOO IDEA!!!!! Thanks for the information…..I did not see anything that big being used by Carlos yesterday, then again, I didn't look that close either!!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So you're the one asking all of the questions?

If you did not see a average size penis, he may have been trying but not actually been successful.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
LOL…..I just had one question "today" :)

I really don't think he was successful, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have missed IT….At least I hope he wasn't successful because I'm trying really hard to perfect my Mommy skills to take care of him and Carla, so I don't want them to have babies EVER!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His organ comes out of the cloacal opening in his tail. You silly goose. Did you separate them yet to give her some peace? Once this starts, it seldom stops...

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
I did separate them Tom…..I'm going to Home Depot when I get off of work to see if I can get ideas so they can be in separate enclosures while we're not home. When we're home I'll let them be together because I have a huge window to keep an eye on them. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ha, ha, your so funny. Unless you plan on watching them every second they are together, your going to possibly have, what you don't want to have.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you don't plan on breeding, it is in the best interest of the female to separate them, It will cause undue stress for no real purpose. You can use cinder blocks to separate them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
GeoTerraTestudo said:
So you saw his penis. No big deal.

No big deal to some, to others it's a very big deal, especially the first time you see it. Especially when there is no warning when the picture of it pops up at ya:p:D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
Here it goes---> For the past two days Carlos has been after Carla if you know what i mean….ANYWAYYYYYY, my question is (((thinking of way to word this))) …………………..ok, ok so I got kind of close to them when Carlos seemed to be at his "happiest" and it seemed to me that he was using his tail to complete "THE DEED" so does that mean his tail is multi-fuctional or is he a twisted confused tort lacking natural instincts???? :D;):cool:

To answer your question:

We mammals have different openings for the different functions - three in females (anal, urine, and genital), and only two in males (anal and urogenital).

In both sexes of reptiles and birds, however, all three channels converge on one opening known as the cloaca (Latin for "sewer"). This is why many reptiles and birds seem to have white feces - it's actually a combination of feces and whitish urine (urate).

It's much the same way for the genitals: both males and females have a cloaca under their tail, which they use for mating. Turtles, like many animals, copulate by the male mounting the female. Because of the shell, the male must have a very long copulatory organ. This is why female turtles have short tails, while male turtles have long tails, as well a long penis. They need to reach around their own shell, and the female's shell, and be able to maintain the copulatory tie for several minutes.

So, the male climbs the female's carapace, lowers his long tail, and protrudes his member through the cloaca, to reach the female's cloaca. The male may vocalize during this time before dismounting. Then, once mating is done, the male and female go their separate ways. And that's how tortoises mate.

wellington said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:

No big deal to some, to others it's a very big deal, especially the first time you see it. Especially when there is no warning when the picture of it pops up at ya:p:D

First time I saw our male Russian tortoise's penis last year, I just thought of it as another fascinating feature of a fascinating animal. :)

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
wellington said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:

That is hilarious. The first time I saw my sulcata's penis I was very shocked. It looked like the spitting dinosaur from Jurassic Park!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:

I, for one, had never seen one. Until that photo. My eyes are still burning.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
MrJorgensen said:
That is hilarious. The first time I saw my sulcata's penis I was very shocked. It looked like the spitting dinosaur from Jurassic Park!

Yeah, I guess it is kind of flared out like the frill of the Dilophosaurus in Jurassic Park. :cool:

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
MrJorgensen said:

Dear God, now I HAVE to look at the picture!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GeoTerraTestudo said:
To answer your question:

We mammals have different openings for the different functions - three in females (anal, urine, and genital), and only two in males (anal and urogenital).

In both sexes of reptiles and birds, however, all three channels converge on one opening known as the cloaca (Latin for "sewer"). This is why many reptiles and birds seem to have white feces - it's actually a combination of feces and whitish urine (urate).

It's much the same way for the genitals: both males and females have a cloaca under their tail, which they use for mating. Turtles, like many animals, copulate by the male mounting the female. Because of the shell, the male must have a very long copulatory organ. This is why female turtles have short tails, while male turtles have long tails, as well a long penis. They need to reach around their own shell, and the female's shell, and be able to maintain the copulatory tie for several minutes.

So, the male climbs the female's carapace, lowers his long tail, and protrudes his member through the cloaca, to reach the female's cloaca. The male may vocalize during this time before dismounting. Then, once mating is done, the male and female go their separate ways. And that's how tortoises mate.

Parenting handbooks suggest that you're supposed to start this explanation out with "Sometimes, when a Daddy-tortoise and a Mommy-tortoise love each other very much..." ;)

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Terry Allan Hall said:
Parenting handbooks suggest that you're supposed to start this explanation out with "Sometimes, when a Daddy-tortoise and a Mommy-tortoise love each other very much..." ;)

Haha!!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Terry Allan Hall said:

Ha ha! Monogamous tortoises. I love it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.