TFO needs a tag line:"Making tortoise owners feel inadequate since 2007"

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
I recently purchased Zoo Med Tortoise House and a Google search brought me here via Modified Zoo Med Tortoise House build thread (Lots of pictures).. and wow, just wow.

After reading several pages of posts for the last couple of weeks, I have come to the conclusion; I totally fail as a turtle owner and frankly, I am amazed I have managed to keep her alive for 16 years!

I am the proud owner of a three-toed box turtle named Flash. She is at least 16 years old, she was not a baby when I got her, so, I am unsure how old she really is.

I have tons of questions for any of the resident box turtle experts!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tort Forum needs a tag line... Making tortoise owners feel inadequate since 2007

Hello and Welcome:). Your not alone. Many members have learned the hard way about proper care. The Internet and forums like this with long time experienced keepers figuring out new things has made it easier for the newer owners to not make the same mistakes that all the old outdated info has done.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: TFO tag line:"Making tortoise owners feel inadequate since 2007"

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Has your box turtle been outside at all during all those years? You must be doing something right. I'd love to see pictures of Flash.

(I had to shorten your subject line. It wouldn't let me post an answer, saying the subject was too long)

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
No. She doesn't go outside.. I would like to build her an outside enclosure for during the summer, I just need to figure out the logistics since it gets pretty hot and dry until the monsoons and I do not want her to drown!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome!
Once you establish an outdoor turtle garden, it will usually take care of itself. All you will have to do is take your turtle in when you have bad weather. I'm in New York, and all mine are outside hibernating under tons of snow and freezing weather. I'm a little nervous right now as we've never had such cold weather. I take the smaller one's in for the Winter and they are in a planted vivarium.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HA! I did the same thing back from 1979-1989 when I had my box turtle. I did everything wrong, but he somehow managed to survive. I kept him in a 20 gallon long aquarium, on kitty litter, with a hot rock. He had a shallow water bowl (the only thing we did right) and we fed him iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, banana, mighty dog dog food, and a vitamin supplement. Mind you, ALL of this was on the strict advice of TWO different veterinarians. When the hot rocks would literally start smoking and smoldering every 9-12 months we'd go buy ANOTHER new one...

Welcome to TFO. TerryO sets the bar nice and high for box turtle care. Yvonne is no slouch either. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome glad you found us . If you are crazy about turtles and tortoises you'll if in fine . Would love to see pictures we all love to see new torts and turtles .

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Yes, pictures please! I love box turtles but I do not have any. I am planning on getting a 3 toed box turtles this spring/summer. Welcome! With 16 years I am sure you have something to share :)

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I keep forgetting to get a photo of her.. ugh!

I bought two of the Zoo Med house and plan to latch them together which will almost double her living area. I really need to find a good veterinarian in Tucson (or Phoenix) so she can get a good check-up. We really do not have any exotic pet veterinarians in my area.

I wish I could get Flash to eat anything green... she is a sweet and/or red food lovingest turtle ever. She will eat the Zoo Med Natural Box Turtle Food and T-Rex Box Turtle Dry Formula, sometimes. I tried feeding her live meal worms once and she loved it, but one got out of the dish before she ate it and I didn't see it.. several weeks later, I almost had a heart attack when a huge black beetle emerged out from under her bowl. It freaked me out so bad, I have been reluctant to feed her anything that morphs into something else!

Currently I have her in a 3'x3' terrarium (I know, I told you I am horrible!) with a dual dome light thingy. From 7am to 8pm the Zoo Med PowerSun UV bulb is on and from 8pm to 7am a Nocturnal Infrared Heat Lamp bulb is on (I have it on a timer) both are 100w. I also have a RetiRain misting thingy that mists her cage every 3 hours.. she is also located in the warmest room in the house with a cool mist whole-house humidifier running to keep the house humidity at 45.

She has one of those half hollowed-out log things to hide in as well as a large but not too deep water dish to sit in. I like using the coconut bedding stuff that comes in like a brick.

Now for my questions:
I have seen recommendations and even a link to a comprehensive list of plants that are okay for tortoises.. does this list apply to my box turtle too?

I love what Sterling Thunder's did for his tortoise house and I am totally stealing some of their ideas, I wanted to know want kinds of grasses and/or live ground cover is ok? Mosses?

What are some plants that I can grow in her house that she might actually eat? Are there any favorites out there?

Is there anyway I can make the cuttlebone I have in her house more appealing.. because right now, it's just laying there collecting dust.

Are the pellet food things ok to leave in her house all the time just in case she wants to munch of them, of course, I still give her fresh stuff daily, but I don't know if it is better to have them on a feeding schedule or if they should have food options at all times?

I think her beak is a little overgrown.. but I can't get her to eat stuff that might wear it done and there is no way I could even attempt to file it down. :( Any tips on how to get her to wear her beak down a little bit?

I know I have tons more questions, but I can't think of any more right now!

Thank you, all, for your warm welcomes!

I promise I will get some photos of her tonight!

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Re: RE: TFO needs a tag line:"Making tortoise owners feel inadequate since 2007"

littleginsu said:

I bought two of the Zoo Med house and plan to latch them together which will almost double her living area. I really need to find a good veterinarian in Tucson (or Phoenix) so she can get a good check-up. We really do not have any exotic pet veterinarians in my area.

I wish I could get Flash to eat anything green... she is a sweet and/or red food lovingest turtle ever. She will eat the Zoo Med Natural Box Turtle Food and T-Rex Box Turtle Dry Formula, sometimes. I tried feeding her live meal worms once and she loved it, but one got out of the dish before she ate it and I didn't see it.. several weeks later, I almost had a heart attack when a huge black beetle emerged out from under her bowl. It freaked me out so bad, I have been reluctant to feed her anything that morphs into something else!

Currently I have her in a 3'x3' terrarium (I know, I told you I am horrible!) with a dual dome light thingy. From 7am to 8pm the Zoo Med PowerSun UV bulb is on and from 8pm to 7am a Nocturnal Infrared Heat Lamp bulb is on (I have it on a timer) both are 100w. I also have a RetiRain misting thingy that mists her cage every 3 hours.. she is also located in the warmest room in the house with a cool mist whole-house humidifier running to keep the house humidity at 45.

She has one of those half hollowed-out log things to hide in as well as a large but not too deep water dish to sit in. I like using the coconut bedding stuff that comes in like a brick.

Now for my questions:
I have seen recommendations and even a link to a comprehensive list of plants that are okay for tortoises.. does this list apply to my box turtle too?

I love what Sterling Thunder's did for his tortoise house and I am totally stealing some of their ideas, I wanted to know want kinds of grasses and/or live ground cover is ok? Mosses?

What are some plants that I can grow in her house that she might actually eat? Are there any favorites out there?

Is there anyway I can make the cuttlebone I have in her house more appealing.. because right now, it's just laying there collecting dust.

Are the pellet food things ok to leave in her house all the time just in case she wants to munch of them, of course, I still give her fresh stuff daily, but I don't know if it is better to have them on a feeding schedule or if they should have food options at all times?

I think her beak is a little overgrown.. but I can't get her to eat stuff that might wear it done and there is no way I could even attempt to file it down. :( Any tips on how to get her to wear her beak down a little bit?

[/quote
I would grind the cuttlebone up and apply on her food. Or you could feed her on a stone slate if your worried about her beak.

littleginsu said:

Now for my questions:

I think the pellets should be a varied diet. My box turtles don't really munch on plants like my torts do. But I know that strawberry leaves are safe and she'll enjoy the fruits if they produce... She will enjoy tomato fruit but remember that the leaves are toxic.. Now you could use the safe plants for tortoises for cover for her, she will enjoy that.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Where is the best place to purchase plants for my box turtle? Any favorites?

I keep reading that a favorite plant for indoor enclosures is Hosta... there appear to be numerous kinds of Hostas; does it matter which kind I get?