tender spot on salcata shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddi

5 Year Member
I have been reading here for a while my husband bright me home Walsh a salvages 8 years old and 80 pounds. Within a week of having him I had room take him to the vet He had 10 days of shots. And He is much better.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us here is a picture of him. You can see the spot that He rubbed off according to the pet shop my husband bought him from. Next to that spot between the two pieces of shell I saw a number. And when I pressed it to see if iron was soft, Walsh hissed and turned He feels discomfort when I do that. What is it?

Attachments

• 20111122_204926.jpg
    20111122_204926.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20120122_092159.jpg
    20120122_092159.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to thew Forum!

It looks like he is loosing his front scute... but is haed to tell from the pics. Can you get a closeup of the area?

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Welcome to TFO!

WOW! Last time my hubby brought me home anything that size it was a vacuum cleaner..... Lovely big tort, great gift. There are loads of really helpful Sulcata owners on here who will no doubt be along to offer their advice. Try and get some close up pics of the area if you can so they can see exactly what's going on.

Good Luck

Helenx

Paddi

5 Year Member
bubbles01 said:
Welcome to TFO!

WOW! Last time my hubby brought me home anything that size it was a vacuum cleaner..... Lovely big tort, great gift. There are loads of really helpful Sulcata owners on here who will no doubt be along to offer their advice. Try and get some close up pics of the area if you can so they can see exactly what's going on.

Good Luck

Helenx

I will get more when I get home tonight. the big damage you can see the vet said was ok it would grow back. i clean his shell well every few days and brush with a nail brush to get read of the dead areas and to promote growth.

the tiny spot between the two scutes will be hard to get a picture of but i will try to get it tonight. can parasite get in the open area the burrow in the shell?

M

Maggie Cummings

It looks like a burn to me and maybe that fresh white spot is new bone? I'm not sure about that cuz I'm not a Vet. But it looks like a burn. You say there's a number there? Can you get a closer picture of that?

Paddi

5 Year Member
I have been reading here for a while. But my first time to post. my husband BROUGHT me home Walsh a SALCATA 8 years old and 80 pounds. Within a week of having him I had room take him to the vet He had 10 days of shots. And He is much better.

here is a picture of him. You can see the spot that He rubbed off according to the pet shop my husband bought him from. Next to that spot between the two pieces of shell I saw a number ( Should have been bump) . And when I pressed it to see if IT was soft, Walsh hissed and turned He feels discomfort when I do that. What is it?

Yes you can see the bone i belive that is what it is under the scutes. yes he almost rubbed it off. he was with two adult redlegs at the exotic pet shop in south houston and my husband when he got home said i could help him with the stuff in the trunk the only think in the trunk was him. and he said merry christmas.

the first picture is from the day we got him. I have been trying to get tortoise that is no longer wanted instead of babies we have 12 acres but live in the texas panhandle so they have to be indoors right now.
the scute feels hard still so the vet said not to worry but i know a open scute lets bac things in.

should i spray it with a anitbotic once in a while?

as for a burn all i know is what the pet shop said. I do not know why the previous owner sold him to the pet shop but he was said to be trying to get under a fence to damage the scutes. he is becoming very friendly and a big eater he gets lots of timmothy hay. and a little veggies and yummy orange stuff. he love cactus that we get from the grocery store. i am wanting to grow weeds and such for all my tortoises.

Paddi

5 Year Member
bubbles01 said:
Welcome to TFO!

Good Luck

Helenx

Here is some close ups. Where the first 3 scutes come together is the little bump. The rubbed off portion is try made nothing feels district to suggest infection I just don't know what that little bump is and why Walsh doesn't like it when I press it.
Thank y'all very much.

Attachments

• 20120128_225042.jpg
    20120128_225042.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20120128_225021.jpg
    20120128_225021.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20120128_225011.jpg
    20120128_225011.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
That really looks like he was clipped by the bottom of a car chasis.

Poor guy. That is the top layer of what the shell is protecting. It probaly feels like bone, but it has all the nerve endings in it.

Paddi

5 Year Member
Here is the a pic showing the tender bump. Where the bone is showing it is not painfull but I worry it is letting bacteria in. And when I showed the vet she said keep doing what I have been brushing it.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1327853505403.png
    PicsArt_1327853505403.png
    365.5 KB · Views: 19

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
that area is still damaged but covers the under layer.... maybe that area is protected enough that the nerve endings didn't die off and still tender to the touch...? it looks to be in the area of the cuticle (the only "live" part of the shell).

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
my vote is to keep it clean like you are doing & apply a thin layer of honey (or triple antibiotic ointment), but i prefer honey for my torts.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Paddi said:
Why honey wouldn't bacteria like the sugars.

Honey is a natural Anti-Bacterial balm. it NEVER spoils, only turns to crystaline form.... till heated. GREAT STUFF!

Paddi

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
Paddi said:

Honey is a natural Anti-Bacterial balm. it NEVER spoils, only turns to crystaline form.... till heated. GREAT STUFF!

I use honey in my soaps but have never considered it a replacement for antibotic ointment.

Y'all are great thank you.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Paddi said:
Zamric said:
Paddi said:

I use honey in my soaps but have never considered it a replacement for antibotic ointment.

Y'all are great thank you.

Nor should you.... this is the 21st Century! but for your tort its pretty effective! it's a simi-liquid and will "flow" into the places your swaps cant get to and seal it away from harm after killing the nasties.

Status
Not open for further replies.