Baby Salcata not eating

Shiv

Hello.
I picked up a baby salcata from a local reptile store that has been known to have a good reputation.
when I first brought it home he seemed to be interested in eating grass but had a difficult eating it.
As tune progressed the tortoise seem less interested in food.
I have him in a plastic bin lined with Timothy grass. A 75 watt spot in a 10" dome. I have soaked him 4 times in the past 2 weeks but I just don't see him eat.
He always seems to sleep.
I do notice that he moves around the enclosure, many times basking, in a corner or a hide. I have not seen him defecate other than the first day.
I am in south Florida so humidity typically isn't an issue.
I am feeding him grass clippings mixed with the pellets that the site tels me come from the zoo.
I have noticed that he has taken a blade of grass across the enclosure but did not eat it.
I have cared for reptiles for years but this is my first tortoise.
Im starting to get a worried, Any advice?

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Shiv, and welcome to the Forum!

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Important Threads at the top of the Sulcata section. A couple things you will learn in those articles are soaking every day and keeping the tortoise in a moist/humid environment. Those articles will also tell you what to feed your little baby.

Forget everything you have read in the past. What we tell you here on the Forum is all new and proven information.

It might be the type of light you're using too. The articles talk about that also.

Happy Reading!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To make it super easy for you, just click and read:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

What are you using for heating, lighting and UV?
What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night?
Grass is good, but its unlikely that he is used to it. You might need some romaine or spring mix mixed in temporarily at least.

Shiv

Im using a zoomed 75watt uvb
I keep the enclosure (top design) near the window to control the temperature.
Basking is 110. Warm side 90, cool side 80, night 75. My humidity is 60%. I can change the soil to raise the humidity.
I went with the hay because I was worried about impaction.
I have not finished all of the articles, everyone seems to say something different. Iwill finish reading then though.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If your humidity is 60-100%...then you need to maintain a minimum of 80ºF at night. Also, you need to soak daily...twice a day is better (30 minutes per session)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum, Shiv. Congratulations on your new baby sulcata. Babies do tend to sleep a lot. When the environment provides them with the things they need they get active and eat. If they are too cool or too warm they will become lethargic. If they can't thermo-regulate to their satisfaction they are unlikely to eat. They need a place to hide so they feel secure and can get away from the light. They need to be well hydrated. The humidity in Florida is great for raising a sulcata. Don't confuse the outdoor ambient humidity with the humidity under that 75 watt basking light. Those lights and other heat sources can greatly reduce the relative humidity.