Temporary enclosure

Jman14

Location (City and/or State)
Cali
Sadly I have to temporarily keep my two Russian tortoises in here because of all the smoke. I know they’re not supposed to be together but will it be fine for only a while I would take them out daily to go on my property. And I am planning on making A second outdoor enclosure when they start hibernating.
image.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If you could divide it down the middle that would be safest. I would rather see a Russian without a hide box than 2 together. Most of the tortoise attacks are from Russians since they are so scrappy. Just trying to save you some heartache and I get it that smoke is a b!tch even you aren’t near the fires. Do you have totes ready for them if you evacuate?

Jman14

Cali
If you could divide it down the middle that would be safest. I would rather see a Russian without a hide box than 2 together. Most of the tortoise attacks are from Russians since they are so scrappy. Just trying to save you some heartache and I get it that smoke is a b!tch even you aren’t near the fires. Do you have totes ready for them if you evacuate?
Thanks for the advice, and how do I prepare if I need to evacuate? I’m from sac.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thanks for the advice, and how do I prepare if I need to evacuate? I’m from sac.
1. Tote for each (sorta big enough to move around in but not enclosure size). Then using a permanent marker add your name and phone number to the tote in several places and add LIVE TORTOISE
2. You need to add a bag of food (mazuri or dried weeds/flowers),
3. Bottle of water
4. Something for heat-hand warmer packs for no power and for if you have power che with dome fixture.
5. A bag of shredded orchid bark (Least messy)
6. Smaller box for hide for tort to seek shelter in tote.
7. Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Pet Gel for irritated eyes (BTW made in same place in same way as For Humans version)
8. A thermometer- laser temp gun if you can
9. Print a copy of this and tape it to your totes- it is an easy visual ID Guide for weeds/foods if you enlist help from friends

1600000512941.png

THe goal for the tote size is so that while everything is okay all the items fit in the tote, but when the crap hits the fan you can put the tort inside the tote in the hide and travel. With everything packed in correctly they will be no sloshing and being in the hide further minimizes getting bounced around. I hope that helps. I have better emergency preps for my torts than I do for the wife and I, at least that what she says!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A couple of large stock tanks would be easier for temporary housing. Or large kiddie pools.

I don't know what is in the double hood, but all you need is an incandescent flood bulb for basking. Don't use the cfl type UV bulbs.

You substrate is too dry. Dampen it down a bit by dumping in some water. Fine grade orchid bark purchased cheaply in bulk from a nursery would work better in this situation and be easier to manage too.

Jman14

Cali
Ok thank you I was gunna buy kiddie pools but they say there out of season, I’m gunna send a pic of what type of lights I have for know.and if I were to build something inside I would definitely get better lighting image.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Ok thank you I was gunna buy kiddie pools but they say there out of season, I’m gunna send a pic of what type of lights I have for know.and if I were to build something inside I would definitely get better lighting View attachment 306191
Both are no good. A T5 UVB is mush better, but honestly if you get him out in the sun 3 or more times a week then no UVB. I would use a incandescent light for a basking spot and a CHE or RHP for overal heat. The RHP is more expensive but does an awesome job and CHE screws into the socket like a bulb. CHE's are no good for bigger tortoises since the heat will burn their carpace. Just some things for you to plan for. Good Luck
1600016977404.png
1600017029312.png

Jman14

Cali
1. Tote for each (sorta big enough to move around in but not enclosure size). Then using a permanent marker add your name and phone number to the tote in several places and add LIVE TORTOISE
2. You need to add a bag of food (mazuri or dried weeds/flowers),
3. Bottle of water
4. Something for heat-hand warmer packs for no power and for if you have power che with dome fixture.
5. A bag of shredded orchid bark (Least messy)
6. Smaller box for hide for tort to seek shelter in tote.
7. Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Ophthalmic Pet Gel for irritated eyes (BTW made in same place in same way as For Humans version)
8. A thermometer- laser temp gun if you can
9. Print a copy of this and tape it to your totes- it is an easy visual ID Guide for weeds/foods if you enlist help from friends

View attachment 306178

THe goal for the tote size is so that while everything is okay all the items fit in the tote, but when the crap hits the fan you can put the tort inside the tote in the hide and travel. With everything packed in correctly they will be no sloshing and being in the hide further minimizes getting bounced around. I hope that helps. I have better emergency preps for my torts than I do for the wife and I, at least that what she says!
Thank you a lot?

Jman14

Cali
Both are no good. A T5 UVB is mush better, but honestly if you get him out in the sun 3 or more times a week then no UVB. I would use a incandescent light for a basking spot and a CHE or RHP for overal heat. The RHP is more expensive but does an awesome job and CHE screws into the socket like a bulb. CHE's are no good for bigger tortoises since the heat will burn their carpace. Just some things for you to plan for. Good Luck
View attachment 306204
View attachment 306205
Thank you again this is really confusing but I’m sure I’ll figure it out

Jman14

Cali
View attachment 306204
View attachment 306205
Would I be able to use this?image.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Would I be able to use this?View attachment 306206
That would be ten times better than a coil bulb and again with some time outside on a sunny day you get UV for free. Good luck the learning curve is steep and I have been there. My wife thought I was nuts to get a tort, but it was a much simpler mid-life crisis! I setup my enclosure and grew plants for a month waiting for Carol S to ship my baby Russian and even then I made some changes.

Jman14

Cali
That would be ten times better than a coil bulb and again with some time outside on a sunny day you get UV for free. Good luck the learning curve is steep and I have been there. My wife thought I was nuts to get a tort, but it was a much simpler mid-life crisis! I setup my enclosure and grew plants for a month waiting for Carol S to ship my baby Russian and even then I made some changes.
Ok thank you, so I should take both of the bulbs out I have in there right now put the t8 in there and make sure to to take them outside correct? I’m sorry abt all these questions it’s just super stressful bc they usually in an outdoor enclosure.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Yep just a simple light bulb and something to maintain heat (CHE) and no UVB needed with a minimum of 3 days outside for the overal UVB. My leopard enjoys this and the fact that the enclosure is not overly bright now.

Jman14

Cali
Dope me and my dad are gunna go return those and then we are gunna get a CHE, and it can be just any light bulb right?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
An incandescent light bulb will give off heat think old style. The LED and Ecosmart bulbs almost give off no heat. A spot light would be better, but since your in Cali then older bulbs are illegal:mad: so the CHE will be responsible for all the heat and a thermostat is absolutely neccessary to maintain the heat levels. Then any old bulb would work.
1600020676933.png