Temporary enclosure

Steamedcomet

Hi, I posted a thread a bit earlier regarding enclosures but I felt like it would be best for this to be asked in a new thread. Is this alright for a temporary enclosure? (There's no UV light at the moment, I'm planning on getting one tomorrow.). Would this be suitable for a week or two while I get his outdoor night box sorted or just a few days at most? (keep in mind he'll have the light starting tomorrow and he usually spends a few hours a day outside in the sun.) I'm also going to add more grass in the morning. I'm concerned he'll eat the cardboard.

Thanks for all the help I'm a bit overwhelmed with the little guy.

Attachments

• 1497223204725876042730.jpg
    1497223204725876042730.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 38

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
If he is going to be outside for a while every day you won't need to UVB light just a heat lamp. A regular lightbulb would work. If you're worried about him eating the cardboard just get a plastic bowl or even one of those Ziploc plastic bowls and cut a doorway into it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How old is your tortoise? If he is a hatchling you should probably keep him inside most of the time. Then you would need to UVB light, a heat source 24 hours a day. That looks like a plastic tub. Do you still have the lid? You can cut holes in the lid just big enough for the heat and UVB light to shine through and that will help keep humidity in.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That looks like just a wee lil' guy.. I think an outdoor night box is further in your future.

If it were my tortoise, I'd be preparing a large, closed chamber for the full time enclosure. I'd only make a small "temporary" outdoor enclosure for 2ish hours a day. That actually is how I did it ;)

Save the outdoor night box plans for when he's >8".

Yes, I guess you can keep your little leopard in this tub (if it's warm enough) for the week you're getting the real enclosure ready. But the sooner the better IMO.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with above. He looks too small to not be living in a closed chamber, which should upto around 2 years of age. He will need a bigger enclosure though, but this one will do for a short time, but you do need to get temps and humidity correct.

Steamedcomet

How old is your tortoise? If he is a hatchling you should probably keep him inside most of the time. Then you would need to UVB light, a heat source 24 hours a day. That looks like a plastic tub. Do you still have the lid? You can cut holes in the lid just big enough for the heat and UVB light to shine through and that will help keep humidity in.

Still a hatchling. It's pretty humid here but I'll look at how it is with all the lights on. I don't have the lid anymore but I can get it covered with some holes no problem. I'll get a heat source and UV light. Is the size alright for a while at least?

Steamedcomet

I agree with above. He looks too small to not be living in a closed chamber, which should upto around 2 years of age. He will need a bigger enclosure though, but this one will do for a short time, but you do need to get temps and humidity correct.
Alright thanks, I didn't realise I'd need that much time in an indoor enclosure. If it's a couple of years then I'll invest in getting a proper indoor habitat going. What size would be best? Is 2mx2m alright?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you want to do it once, I would do a 3 or 4 by 6. This is a sulcata right? You could let him have all of it or block a portion off until he got bigger. I raised my leopard hatchling in a 4x4 and used 2x4 of it for his first year and few months. However, they grow slower and don't get as big as a sulcata.

Steamedcomet

If you want to do it once, I would do a 3 or 4 by 6. This is a sulcata right? You could let him have all of it or block a portion off until he got bigger. I raised my leopard hatchling in a 4x4 and used 2x4 of it for his first year and few months. However, they grow slower and don't get as big as a sulcata.

He's going to the vet tomorrow. I want to make sure about his species and want to get a medical check (his previous conditions weren't great and I have no idea what ideal health looks like). When I know that I'll get to putting together a large enclosure for him. Thanks for the help, glad to know he can spend a day or two as he is.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's going to the vet tomorrow. I want to make sure about his species and want to get a medical check (his previous conditions weren't great and I have no idea what ideal health looks like). When I know that I'll get to putting together a large enclosure for him. Thanks for the help, glad to know he can spend a day or two as he is.
Be very careful about the vet advice. Unless they work with tortoises, most don't know much about them. Post a pic an we can ID it for you. There's no way of telling age unless you know the hatch date, but guesses can be made. There's no way of sexing either at a young age without an expensive medical procedure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's going to the vet tomorrow. I want to make sure about his species and want to get a medical check (his previous conditions weren't great and I have no idea what ideal health looks like).

Most vets don't know what ideal health looks like either. Hopefully, you've found one of the good ones.