Temporary enclosure yet a on going explanation....

MadieM

Location (City and/or State)
California
So, the story behind all of this temporary set up is, I had noooo idea whatsoever the size of the tort I was going to get. I had only seen a baby sulcata tort once inside a tank at a reptile store and i had no clue the age and etc. Now that I know the size and age of mine I do plan on making a new enclosure. Not 100% sure what kind I want, ideally one that is easy to transport in and outside since my baby is still a month it'll take some time for my tort to get bigger in size also because sometime in the year or next year i am moving and don't want to build an enclosure that has to be built into the ground up. My tort actually sleeps in something totally different, it is a 10 gallon tank with it's hide and water. I have a heat pad on the side. (Before people start coming down on me for having the heat pad I just want to clarify that it is safe. I use the same exact thing for my hermits to keep their tank humid and warm at the same time and know how to properly use it so no one gets hurt) I make sure to spray the entire tank and cap it off with a acrylic slab. But me always being a new mom of all beautiful creatures I always wake up and check on my tort first thing to make sure it's not flipped over then in the morning I transport my tort into it's more open enclosure with fresh water, food and clean bark and outside he goes!14215524_955421937917777_161099229_o.jpg 14273328_955421907917780_1135687937_o.jpg 14233856_955421964584441_1677615837_o.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You could also have two enclosures, one inside and one outside, and just move the tortoise, not the enclosure. When Charlie was small, I used a kiddie pool for the outside enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In my limited and only experience with a heating pad, long before I found this forum, I found two things.
Heating pads don't do a good job of warming the air inside of a terrarium when mounted to to side of the glass. Neither air or glass conduct heat very well. And if placed underneath the tank, with the tank slightly raised up, maybe 1/4" inch for cooling, the glass inside my enclosure blew up like a bomb and shattered when some water was dripped into the tank for moisture.
For these reasons, I don't use pads with a glass tank.
And do not recommend them.

MadieM

California
I would use a outdoor pool but I have two dogs in the back and don't trust the puppy (german shepard pups are hyper and very nosy) so, the enclosure I have now fits on top of our swing set where no dog is able to reach or knock down and it's great for UVB. I tried putting my enclosure outside in my front yard but I kind of live in a rough area and things get stolen left and right if you're not keeping a good enough eye. That's is why I am brainstorming ideas together to create an enclosure for the tort that is very protective against potential predators and has wheels. I live in the desert so I literally have no grass in my front or back lawn it's all rock and dirt on top of that my neighbor is the local lawn mower dude cutting palm trees and his grass and i don't want to risk grass with toxins in it. But starting today or tomorrow when I'm finished with my classes I am putting clean grass in the back yard and found a couple of ideas on the internet to create the perfect little outside enclosure. Hopefully I'll remember to take pictures along the way and show you guys everything that happens :)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
You could also have two enclosures, one inside and one outside, and just move the tortoise, not the enclosure. When Charlie was small, I used a kiddie pool for the outside enclosure.
Yep that Kiddy pool worked great for me also . I put it up on one of those plastic patio tables so critters couldn't reach that high ! Set a patio block in the center , so wind and critters wouldn't knock it over ! Set it outside a window , so it was super easy to keep an eye on things ! Worked well for us !
100_8007.jpg