Temporary Diet

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
So we are remodeling our enclosures. And re-turfing the backyard. I have had to pen Tank up for a few days and the whole process will take another week at least to complete.
I don't want to risk leaving him in the area being worked on because there are so many guys going in and out and I don't want to risk him getting hurt or lost.
The problem is, there is no grass growing in the area he is in right now. He ate all that a long time ago. In fact, he's eaten most of my yard, part of the reason we are having to "re-grass" it.
I've been giving him collards, mustard greens, kale, apples, broccoli, a few strawberries, cactus pads, squash, watermelon and cantaloupe. Some from my garden and some I've had to buy at the dreaded store.
What should I be giving him? How do I know if it's enough? He eats EVERYTHING. And is this drastic change in diet going to harm him? He's normally 100% grass fed. With a few treats here and there.
Should I give him some sort of hay? Would it be safe to offer him a couple patches of the sod were laying?
Not sure what the right thing to do is... ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459028557.924382.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459028579.851733.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459028598.325094.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you can always get a bale of hay from a feed store or sometimes you collect the fallings in the area from the hay bales that fall out. I as well don't know if I trust the new sod for a while. with his new diet being higher in sugary fruits and vegetables you'll probably see loose stools.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would not feed fruit. Endive and escarole are good options from the store. Orchard grass hay would be good. You will probably need to cut it very fine and rehydrate it by soaking it in water. Mix it in with greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Grass hay is usually the staple for large sulcatas. I'm surprised you've made it this far without it! I prefer orchard grass hay or bermuda hay. You can just put out a flake and feed him his other foods on top of it. Eventually start sprinkling some hay on top of the other foods. Some sulcatas take to it right away and others need to be convinced over weeks or months. Chopping the hay into smaller pieces with scissors, rehydrating and mixing it with the other foods is a good war to get them started on it.

I run an electric mower over my yard in sections and I feed out the fresh clippings mixed in with other greens. Maybe you have someone you know that doesn't treat their yard with weed n feed type stuff and no pesticides?

Also look for local mulberry trees, hibiscus bushes and grape vines. Most areas of the country have lots of spineless opuntia growing too.

How about weeds? Are the weeds not going crazy in your area right now? They are here. look for mallow and sow thistle. Wild mustard?

I would not feed him any of that fruit.

I agree with Speedy about the sod. It is usually grown with all sorts of chemicals and pesticides, as well as plastic netting embedded within it to keep sod together. They intend for it to be walked upon and look pretty. Not eaten. I would not let him have access to that for a year or more.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I run an electric mower over my yard in sections and I feed out the fresh clippings mixed in with other greens.
Could this be done with a gas mower? Sorry if dumb question. Not sure if I am missing something.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could this be done with a gas mower? Sorry if dumb question. Not sure if I am missing something.

I know people that do, but I am afraid of contamination. If your mower is in perfect working order and not dropping any oil or dripping gas from a refill, etc…, then I suppose you could.

Not something I'd be comfortable with.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Thanks for all the advice! I did go pick some weeds, dandelions and I have always had cactus growing out front for him. I also asked my neighbor to give me her grass clippings and he ate that, but it went fast!!
I'm not giving him any more fruit than I would normally treat him to. Mostly greens and cactus. I'm gonna try the hay, like @Tom suggested. I didn't think to cut it up! He used to eat hay when I first got him and transitioned him to free range.
We're almost done! His "area" is not getting any sod, but needs more grass in general. I seeded Bermuda all over it. And he will get lots of clippings from my organic garden as usual.
It's just scary that he's gone from a diet of nothing but grass and weeds with occasional treats, to now almost no grass and "store stuff". I don't like it. But have to endure it a few more days!
I'll cut back on the fruit, look for escarole, and keep picking weeds and grass clippings. I have a lot of hibiscus in this area but he could eat an entire bush of that in an hour! I've been giving him flowers and leaves, and some of my grape vine leaves.
I just don't know how much I should really be giving him!!! He's been free range so long, how do I know if he's getting enough? He eats it all. Everything. For reference, he's almost 150 lbs. And I've been checking his stool and urine. Seems fine, less grassy of course. What else should I watch for?
I appreciate all the advice I can get!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for all the advice! I did go pick some weeds, dandelions and I have always had cactus growing out front for him. I also asked my neighbor to give me her grass clippings and he ate that, but it went fast!!
I'm not giving him any more fruit than I would normally treat him to. Mostly greens and cactus. I'm gonna try the hay, like @Tom suggested. I didn't think to cut it up! He used to eat hay when I first got him and transitioned him to free range.
We're almost done! His "area" is not getting any sod, but needs more grass in general. I seeded Bermuda all over it. And he will get lots of clippings from my organic garden as usual.
It's just scary that he's gone from a diet of nothing but grass and weeds with occasional treats, to now almost no grass and "store stuff". I don't like it. But have to endure it a few more days!
I'll cut back on the fruit, look for escarole, and keep picking weeds and grass clippings. I have a lot of hibiscus in this area but he could eat an entire bush of that in an hour! I've been giving him flowers and leaves, and some of my grape vine leaves.
I just don't know how much I should really be giving him!!! He's been free range so long, how do I know if he's getting enough? He eats it all. Everything. For reference, he's almost 150 lbs. And I've been checking his stool and urine. Seems fine, less grassy of course. What else should I watch for?
I appreciate all the advice I can get!

This is where the grass hay comes in. They eat as much hay as they want and then the mulberry, grape, and hibiscus leaves, the opuntia, dandelions and anything else you scrounge up is basically a treat on top of the hay.

I just throw down a whole flake of hay and add a new flake as needed.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
This is where the grass hay comes in. They eat as much hay as they want and then the mulberry, grape, and hibiscus leaves, the opuntia, dandelions and anything else you scrounge up is basically a treat on top of the hay.

I just throw down a whole flake of hay and add a new flake as needed.
Tom, where do you get that type of hay in large quantities? I'm assuming you don't mean regular "horse" hay... or do you? What about Timothy or Alfalfa?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, where do you get that type of hay in large quantities? I'm assuming you don't mean regular "horse" hay... or do you? What about Timothy or Alfalfa?

Yes. Regular livestock grass hay. I find timothy too stemmy and pokey, and the same thing with alfalfa, but alfalfa is also high in protein, which is controversial. I prefer Bermuda or orchard grass hay, but I've successfully to see all four. The stemmy-ness is less of an issue with the big 100+ pounders.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Yes. Regular livestock grass hay. I find timothy too stemmy and pokey, and the same thing with alfalfa, but alfalfa is also high in protein, which is controversial. I prefer Bermuda or orchard grass hay, but I've successfully to see all four. The stemmy-ness is less of an issue with the big 100+ pounders.
The Bermuda of Orchard grass hay, where would I get that? I mean, where do you get that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Bermuda of Orchard grass hay, where would I get that? I mean, where do you get that?

From a feed store that sells hay for horses and live stock. It comes in a giant 100+ pound bale for about $20-25. Once he really starts eating it you will probably use a flake every week or two. 16 flakes in a bale.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I had the same thing happen last year. What Tom says is true. Too many people still start them dry. It can cause irreversible organ damage. I doubt it's anything you did.
You have a beautiful set up! It would be a shame to let it go to waste. Next time, make certain you get one from someone who starts them right. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.
Sorry for your loss.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I had the same thing happen last year. What Tom says is true. Too many people still start them dry. It can cause irreversible organ damage. I doubt it's anything you did.
You have a beautiful set up! It would be a shame to let it go to waste. Next time, make certain you get one from someone who starts them right. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.
Sorry for your loss.
Oops. I think I put this on the wrong thread. My bad.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Oops. I think I put this on the wrong thread. My bad.
Oh ! Good , you had me going for a minute there !
m1701.gif
:D :D