Temple turtles in trouble.

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thailand
I live in Thailand, and in my village there are about six yellow headed temple turtles. The stupid owner of the village decided to get rid of the pond and build a condo instead. The pond is really big and contains water monitors and all kinds of different fish. Lately people have been throwing plastic in the pond and last time i caught the turtles to look at them they had plastic in there feces. If anybody knows any turtle conservation groups in Thailand please reply because there are also Indonesian box turtles, back marsh turtles, red eared sliders and water monitors in the pond. I have posted pictures of a temple turtle i found looking for food not long ago. These turtles are also fed bread, fruits and all that by some thai people that do not know anything about them. So they depend on humans for food this is why I am concerned because if they are released in the wild they will die.

Thank you,

IMG_1552.jpg IMG_1554 2.jpg IMG_1554.jpg IMG_1557.jpg IMG_1559.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Will used to be in charge of the Asian Scholarship Program. I wonder if he knows of a conservation group that could help.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yeah, I can, but need something more specific than "stupid owner" and someplace in Thailand. If @Gabriel Mattei, you want to spear head this yourself, the resources you can use are at the TSA office in India, or go the the USA TSA webpage and find out who their Thailand person is. I know some people on the ground there, but some way to act has to be worked out and getting an idea on the time line might not be bad either. Perhaps a wild relocation would work too. Aquatic turtles are much more plastic in the adaptability than tortoises.