Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisTort

5 Year Member
Okay, so I never thought I had an issue with temperature, but my thermometer broke... So I bought a new one and it's saying that my tortoise's basking spot is 105 degrees. My old thermometer said 90-95 degrees!

How do I cool it? Do I need to lower that temp (I thought it was supposed to be 95 max)? Do I just need a lower watt bulb???

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you have a sulcata or a leopard torts thats perfect. But if you want to lower it mount the light or che higher in the enclosure. If you have a closed chamber enclosure you will have to get a lamp with a lower wastage.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here are the temps you want to achieve. They are from forum member
"GeoTerraTestudo" that he posted in a past thread.

Ambient daytime: 70s to low 80s
Basking spot: 95-100*F
Nighttime: preferably in the 60s

What kind of temp gage are you using? Those disc type from the pet stores are usually not very accurate.

BorisTort

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Here are the temps you want to achieve. They are from forum member
"GeoTerraTestudo" that he posted in a past thread.

Ambient daytime: 70s to low 80s
Basking spot: 95-100*F
Nighttime: preferably in the 60s

What kind of temp gage are you using? Those disc type from the pet stores are usually not very accurate.

I just bought it-- it wasn't very expensive so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't reliable. I think the brand is "grreat choice" and yes, it's a small round one. But still, it scares me to think that his basking spot was close to 110! (that's what it got up to before I shut it off for the night)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would suggest getting something like a temp gun which you can get fairly cheaply from most any hardware store or even places like WalMart often have them. (They are also lots of fun to go out and try beaming it to check temps in all sorts of places :D ).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try raising the basking light until you get it too the temp of 95-100. As long as he can move away from the basking light, don't really need to freak out. Also, they don't have to be right under it to get the UVB from it, if that's the kind of basking light you have. My leopard always laid off to the side of the basking light. He adjusted his temp by how much he laid directly under it or off to the side.

BorisTort

5 Year Member
Thank you guys!!! I feel stupid for freaking out, but I was afraid I was hurting my baby!
I'll start by moving the light farther away. It seems like a no brainer now!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
BorisTort said:
Thank you guys!!! I feel stupid for freaking out, but I was afraid I was hurting my baby!
I'll start by moving the light farther away. It seems like a no brainer now!

Don't feel stupid, not asking the questions and seeking help would have been "stupid" to use your term. Your just a caring and concerned tortoise caretaker is all and that's a great thing! :)

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
I'm in the same place and am trying to figure out now how to either raise the CHE heat lamp or lower his second floor to cool it a bit. I think mine gets to just over 100 as well on most days and stays in the 70s in the rest of the home.

What are you going to do to raise it?

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
110 is not a big deal and won't hurt your tortoise. Where they come from ambient is sometimes 110. No telling hot hot surface temps might be, even though they would tend to dig in or find cover during those hot times.

Still, in your enclosure if the basking temp is too warm, your tortoise will find the spot to his liking around the margin of the hot spot. Just make sure the whole enclosure in not 110. The end away from the basking spot should cool closer to room temp so he can move back and forth and regulate his own temperature.

Are you measuring by putting the disc directly under the hottest part of the bulb at tortoise level, or is the disc stuck on the back wall? A remote probed thermometer can be found at Walmart, Target or any hardware store for $10-20, and infrared temp guns can be found online for $20-30. I like to use both to ensure I'm getting it right.

As others already noted, the basking temp can be changed by moving the fixture up or down, or by changing the wattage of the bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.