Hatchling Tortoise Basking Temoerature

NewHatchlingRussian

Location (City and/or State)
Pheonix, Arizona
Hi! I am getting a new hatchling Russian tortoise and I want to know what temp his basking spot should be. I have heard anywhere from 95-105. Also, what temperature should the rest of his enclosure be? My house will naturally be 78-81 degrees, so the coolest part of his enclosure would probably be around there. Also, how long should I have his lamp on for? I was thinking 12 hours in the summer, 10 in autumn 8 in winter and 11 in spring. If you have any advice, I am still very much in need of valid information.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Basking I would aim for 95-100 preferably around the 97 mark.

The rest of the enclosure at 78-81 is fine, and anything as low as 65f is ok but don’t let it drop below that.

If you don’t want your tort to hibernate then you should keep your lighting on 12-14 hours per day. If you start turning lights off early in winter your tort May start to try and hibernate. You should probably not hibernate the first year, I know people that do, but personally I wouldn’t.

NewHatchlingRussian

Pheonix, Arizona
Basking I would aim for 95-100 preferably around the 97 mark.

The rest of the enclosure at 78-81 is fine, and anything as low as 65f is ok but don’t let it drop below that.

If you don’t want your tort to hibernate then you should keep your lighting on 12-14 hours per day. If you start turning lights off early in winter your tort May start to try and hibernate. You should probably not hibernate the first year, I know people that do, but personally I wouldn’t.
Thankyou, this was very helpful. I have not researched the benefits of hibernating nor what it entails, but I will wait a few years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I am getting a new hatchling Russian tortoise and I want to know what temp his basking spot should be. I have heard anywhere from 95-105. Also, what temperature should the rest of his enclosure be? My house will naturally be 78-81 degrees, so the coolest part of his enclosure would probably be around there. Also, how long should I have his lamp on for? I was thinking 12 hours in the summer, 10 in autumn 8 in winter and 11 in spring. If you have any advice, I am still very much in need of valid information.
I agree with what Katieandiggy said.