Temperature Concerns

Ben Page

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
I am concerned with the temperatures in my Russian's enclosure. Using a temperature gun I am testing the temperatures in the cage. I have 95 on the stone under the heat lamp, 72 under the fluorescent light but it is only 67 on the other end which is where I have his hide. Should I move the humid hide to the hot end or even add another so he can have a hide in both ends? What should I put in the humid hide to increase humidity? Are these temps high enough? I have the fluorescent light as high as it can go, it is 13" above the substrate so I can lower it to increase the temps. The lighting is an Arcadia D3 6% T8 Reptile Lamp and an 5000k light and I have a 90 Watt Chromalux halogen flood basking bulb on a dimmer for the heat.
874dee668323d13ecd6d55a2f95ed988.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A humid hide needs to be warm to actually be humid. Otherwise it's just damp and cold and can make him sick. I personally do not let my Russian get that cold. I would at least get the cool end to 70 but get the humid hide to the warm end and put a regular dry hide on the cooler end if you like, but still get the temp to 70.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A few points to help:
1. Moving the florescent bulb closer will not make it warmer. They don't give off much heat.
2. For a tropical species where the entire cage is warm, it doesn't matter where you put the humid hide. For a temperate species with a warm side and a cool side, the humid hide should be on the warm side.
3. 67 is fine for an over night low, but I'd try to get the whole enclosure into at least the mid 70's during the day. What you are running into there is the reason some of us recommend against open tables. It is exceedingly difficult to maintain good temps, unless the room temps are close to what you need.
4. The clamp lamp you have there is a no-go. The black plastic "Bake-Lite" fixtures will not hold up to being used all day every day. They will eventually short out, and it can cause a disaster. Get rid of that one and go to Home Depot and get a ceramic based fixture like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-300-Watt-Incandescent-Brooder-Clamp-Light-HD-303PDQ/204684496
See the ceramic base on the one in the pic? That's what you need to use for all day every day. Take off the little guard rail thingies, and…
5. Don't use the clamp. Those clamps ALWAYS fail eventually. Houses burn down because of those stupid clamps. Hang your lamp from over head. This makes it easy to adjust the temperature under it by raising or lowering the fixture. I have been hanging mine by the cord for decades without a problem, but an electrician will tell you not to do that. Your call. The "right" way to hang them is to attach a piece of small metal chain of some sort to the fixture and hang it by that independent of the cord. This way the cord isn't taking the weight.

Ben Page

Phoenix, AZ
A few points to help:
1. Moving the florescent bulb closer will not make it warmer. They don't give off much heat.
2. For a tropical species where the entire cage is warm, it doesn't matter where you put the humid hide. For a temperate species with a warm side and a cool side, the humid hide should be on the warm side.
3. 67 is fine for an over night low, but I'd try to get the whole enclosure into at least the mid 70's during the day. What you are running into there is the reason some of us recommend against open tables. It is exceedingly difficult to maintain good temps, unless the room temps are close to what you need.
4. The clamp lamp you have there is a no-go. The black plastic "Bake-Lite" fixtures will not hold up to being used all day every day. They will eventually short out, and it can cause a disaster. Get rid of that one and go to Home Depot and get a ceramic based fixture like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-300-Watt-Incandescent-Brooder-Clamp-Light-HD-303PDQ/204684496
See the ceramic base on the one in the pic? That's what you need to use for all day every day. Take off the little guard rail thingies, and…
5. Don't use the clamp. Those clamps ALWAYS fail eventually. Houses burn down because of those stupid clamps. Hang your lamp from over head. This makes it easy to adjust the temperature under it by raising or lowering the fixture. I have been hanging mine by the cord for decades without a problem, but an electrician will tell you not to do that. Your call. The "right" way to hang them is to attach a piece of small metal chain of some sort to the fixture and hang it by that independent of the cord. This way the cord isn't taking the weight.

I'll replace the clamp lamp right away and get it properly hung. I'll also move his hide to the warm end. What should I use inside the humid hide to retain moisture?

It sounds like I either need to cover, at least partially, the cage or add another heat source. Would adding a che be advised? Will this just increase the temps surrounding the che or does this type of heat spread? If I partially covered the enclosure would a sheet of plexiglass work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll replace the clamp lamp right away and get it properly hung. I'll also move his hide to the warm end. What should I use inside the humid hide to retain moisture?

It sounds like I either need to cover, at least partially, the cage or add another heat source. Would adding a che be advised? Will this just increase the temps surrounding the che or does this type of heat spread? If I partially covered the enclosure would a sheet of plexiglass work?

A closed chamber will work best. Everything else is frustrating half-measures. With an open top: When you increase the heat, it gets too dry. Add water and it gets too wet. All the evaporation cools things down too much and necessitates more electric heat… It never ends. Simply contain the heat and humidity, and your problems are solved.

Adding a CHE in a large 10 or 11" dome should spread out the heat. Partially covering the top will help a little, but it also creates a chimney effect.