Temperature

franklin444

Location (City and/or State)
U.S.A
How warm dos it have to be to take my Russian tortoise outside to roam around in the grass. I usually take him out when it is at least 80 degrees or more. It doesn't get super hot where I live only up to 90 degrees on extremely hot days in the summer. But most of the summer days are about 80-90.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How warm dos it have to be to take my Russian tortoise outside to roam around in the grass. I usually take him out when it is at least 80 degrees or more. It doesn't get super hot where I live only up to 90 degrees on extremely hot days in the summer. But most of the summer days are about 80-90.
They should never be loose outside. You need to make a secure enclosure.

Its not just the number on the thermometer. It depends on other aspects of the weather too. Is it dry, windy, overcast, sunny? Did it rain last night and the ground is all wet? If its sunny, dry, and not windy, you can put the tortoise out when its in the low 60s. Watch the temperature of the tortoise. Use a temp gun to check the carapace temperature. If your tortoise just goes and parks under a bush in the shade, there is no point in having it outside. If the tortoise wants to bask and walk around, then its probably warm enough.

franklin444

U.S.A
I know they should not be loose outside but I ALWAYS watch him and make sure he does not wander off or go too far. I was wondering how warm it should be if it is a nice day with the grass being dry and no rain and not very cloudy.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
My Russian tortoises live outside from May-September and they do well. Yesterday was in the mid 50's. They still ate but were not very active.
Today it got into the lower 70's and they were extremely active. If the air temp is 70 its much warmer in direct sunlight. They seem to be pretty active when its sunny and 60 or higher, as long as its not above 85 or so, then they hide most of the day and come out in the morning and evening.