Is my Russian hibernating?

Shells0013

Hello!!!

This summer was the first time I moved my Russian outside. She was thriving and loving it (I assume)! Lately she stays buried and doesn't come out to eat or drink. Our days are still very hot (80+ degrees) but our nights are in the 50s. I am in Southern California but our winters can get down the 30's. Should I dig her up or just leave her be? How will I know she is still alive??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't hibernate my Russians. They need to be prepared to hibernate. If your days are still 80's I can't imagine her not coming out to bask.
@Tom lives in CA and raises Russians. He might be able to help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!!!

This summer was the first time I moved my Russian outside. She was thriving and loving it (I assume)! Lately she stays buried and doesn't come out to eat or drink. Our days are still very hot (80+ degrees) but our nights are in the 50s. I am in Southern California but our winters can get down the 30's. Should I dig her up or just leave her be? How will I know she is still alive??

Some people just leave them outside to fend for themselves and some percentage manage to somehow survive. Others, don't survive. Our climate here is weird because it gets cold, but it doesn't get cold and stay consistently cold enough for hibernation. Too many warm sunny winter days.

Where in SoCal are you? Different advice for Huntington Beach Vs. Desert Hot Springs, ya know?

You tell me what you want to do here and I'll try to help either way.

Reactions: TLG

Shells0013

Hi Tom,

I am in Temecula, CA which is about 1 hour north of San Diego. We are inland so it isn't really beach or desert weather.

TLG

Corona, CA.
Some people just leave them outside to fend for themselves and some percentage manage to somehow survive. Others, don't survive. Our climate here is weird because it gets cold, but it doesn't get cold and stay consistently cold enough for hibernation. Too many warm sunny winter days.

Where in SoCal are you? Different advice for Huntington Beach Vs. Desert Hot Springs, ya know?

You tell me what you want to do here and I'll try to help either way.
Hi I have the same question. I live in Corona, CA. it is still very hot here and I haven"t seen my tortoise in about a week, should I be concerned? Cause I am! Thanks for any help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I have the same question. I live in Corona, CA. it is still very hot here and I haven"t seen my tortoise in about a week, should I be concerned? Cause I am! Thanks for any help!

Yes, you should be concerned. Its too hot, too inconsistent, and too dangerous to just leave them outside to hibernate here.

Here is what I did to extend spring and fall:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/heating-an-outdoor-russian-night-box.116180/#post-1077261
This keeps the nights warm enough to hold off hibernation a few extra weeks, but the shortening days, still tell them its time to hibernate.

Here is what I do to hibernate them:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/looking-for-an-rt-hibernation-mentor.128790/
Read this thread. In post 19, I explain the process.

Please feel free to start your own thread and ask lots of questions.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Tom, I am near both of these users and my Russian began hibernation very early this fall, after an unusually long cloudy period.

The sun came back out but her clock had already begun. The night box didn’t help, she just tried to burrow in it. Hauling her out into the sun several times a day didn’t stop the process. As a result we put her into hibernation three weeks early this year.

I imagine other people near me may be having similar experiences.