Temp problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
First, I know a photo of my enclosure would be helpful, but i'm having trouble getting pics to post today and am really tired, so will have to try again tomorrow.

My tort arrives in 3 more days, so I'm anxious to get everything right quickly. My enclosure is indoors and is 3' x 4', and 18" tall. I have 4 inches of organic potting soil as substrate with several plants (spider plants, swedish ivy and a begonia). My humidity is fine- ranges between 50 and 70%. I have a 24" fluorescent fixture with a ReptiSun 5.0 UVB and a "plant light" in the other half of the fixture to complete the circuit. I have a 100 watt flood light in a dome fixture at the warm end, but after several hours the temp at the warm end is only 76 but the basking spot is 120! The cool end is 68.

Should I get a CHE on a thermostat? My tort will be here before I could get one shipped, so I'm not sure what to use in the meantime: a different incandescent bulb in the hot end or angle the one I have more to spread out the heat better? And a low wattage incandescent in the cool end? Other ideas??? :-( BTW, my tort is a 4+ inch Hermann's, so she's NOT as fragile as a hatchling, but things still need to be right.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would make your basking lower, like 95-110. I'm not sure what your other temps Should be for a hermanns but they sound fine. If you need the 76 higher, a regular house bulb would probably work with what you have or lower that bulb.

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Moozilion said:
First, I know a photo of my enclosure would be helpful, but i'm having trouble getting pics to post today and am really tired, so will have to try again tomorrow.

My tort arrives in 3 more days, so I'm anxious to get everything right quickly. My enclosure is indoors and is 3' x 4', and 18" tall. I have 4 inches of organic potting soil as substrate with several plants (spider plants, swedish ivy and a begonia). My humidity is fine- ranges between 50 and 70%. I have a 24" fluorescent fixture with a ReptiSun 5.0 UVB and a "plant light" in the other half of the fixture to complete the circuit. I have a 100 watt flood light in a dome fixture at the warm end, but after several hours the temp at the warm end is only 76 but the basking spot is 120! The cool end is 68.

Should I get a CHE on a thermostat? My tort will be here before I could get one shipped, so I'm not sure what to use in the meantime: a different incandescent bulb in the hot end or angle the one I have more to spread out the heat better? And a low wattage incandescent in the cool end? Other ideas??? :-( BTW, my tort is a 4+ inch Hermann's, so she's NOT as fragile as a hatchling, but things still need to be right.

Why not just use a regular house hold bulb, just not the soft white bulb. You can use a 60 watt bulb, or whatever it takes to lower the basking area. You could also raise your basking bulb if u wish to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.