Heat control

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine
I'm still having a few issues on my new tort table (4' x 4' x 1') concerning temp control. I have 4 clamp lamps, one on each corner. Two are MVB one 100w one 60w at one end, and two infrared bulbs, same wattage at the other end. The MVB's shut off at night, and the temp on that side gets down to around 62F. The far (cool) side temps stay warm (70-80) due to the infrared lamps at night. My russian tort so far never goes to the other side at night and stays right where she is when the MVB lights go out for the night and she ends up around 62F. I know she is trying to hibernate, so I want to try and keep her warmer (around 70) at night. I don't want to raise ambient temp in my house to 70 (too expensive), and I don't want to have to pick her up and move her to the other side every night, so I'm looking for a way to keep that side warmer. Does anyone have any experience with heat cables? I'm thinking about running some under that half the enclosure beneath the substrate. Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Tortoises are smarter then we give them credit for...if you did pick her up and put her where you wanted her every night, pretty soon she would get the idea and start going there herself, but you have to train her first...it will take a couple of weeks but she'll get the idea. Also make sure your MVB light stays on for 12 to 13 hours a day and she'll soon give up the hibernation idea...

jrholls

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine
Thanks Maggie :) The MVBs are on a 14 hour timer. I will start moving her over to the warmer area tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.