Tank/ Terrarium Size Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

promisetolove

5 Year Member
Hello!!

I just am looking for some advise on a recommendation of size for a tank!

I have 3 turtles who are hatchlings, all are doing amazing right now and I have everything I need.
I've done tons of research

I'm just wondering from another perspective what size tank YOU would recommend me have 3 baby turtles in :) just looking to give them as good of a life as I can!!!

2 RES 1 Map.

Thanks for the help!! :)

Vickie

5 Year Member
I hate to tell you this however, you will need a HUGE one when involving the RES I am talking over 100 gallons to make them healthy and happy. They really do tend to almost stay in the water more then out so will need tons of room for swimming and a good basking area. Also, you are talking a good 12" each on those 2 when grown each.......so just keeping that in mind you are talking in those 2 alone 24" just in turtle length. Anyway thus why you see so many RES in rescue groups etc for turtles. Many I have read are even stop taking the RES because they are so over flooded with them. Sadly, most of those IMO really need to be pond turtles to give them a healthy happy life. The maps on the other hand they tend to be smaller and thus need smaller space.

I hope I didn't scare you to much however, you will need a good amount of space for a healthy RES.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I have a 125gallon tank. It did house 2 small RES and 1 painted. (now it just houses the painted)
They were all about 4"in size and the space was fine.

Since you have small babies I'd opt for 55-100 gallons. Eventually you'd need bigger.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

lokenica

5 Year Member
Wait about a year and then build them an outdoor pond with a land area they can't escape from. That's what I did.....they love it....PM me if you want me to send pics

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
What part of the country do you live in? That will make a difference in what type of pond you want to build. Those turtles together in 200 gallons might be too cramped, so a separation plan is always good to have. Sliders are just tough to keep the right way in aquariums. It boggles my mind that hey are considered a "beginner" species, just because they are perfect for turtle farming. You are doing the right hang by researching the forums. Just be ready for a tough road because of those sliders.

zman7590

5 Year Member
Building a little pond outside is cheap once you get time!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Tank/ Terrarium Size Recommendation

Team Gomberg said:
Since you have small babies I'd opt for 55-100 gallons. Eventually you'd need bigger.

Just to clarify I think a tank in that size range is ok for your little ones now. But the "eventually you'd need bigger" means a nice outdoor pond ;) as they grow.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

promisetolove

5 Year Member
I live in Canada. It gets freezing with a lot of snow in the winter.

Thanks for the heads up!
The RES seem to sound like a handful but ill try my best!!!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
RES are actually a pretty poor choice as a household pet turtle in a lot of ways- they get BIG, need lots of space, and are pretty messy. The story of how they became common pets is pretty much a triumph of marketing.

The thing about the space is the recommended space is 10 gallons of water per inch of turtle length. That isn't 10 gallons of tank size- it is 10 gallons of actual swimming space. Since each RES can easily hit 12" long, you can see that it would take a lot of space to keep them healthy and happy.

An outdoor pond in Canada would still be a good summer choice, and with some work, could even house them over the winter in hibernation mode.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would get a 300 gal.water tub from tractor supply .and set up a home made filter system. Just look it up on you tube . There's people building home made filters and indoor ponds .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.