Table plan, it seem ok??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Ok, so I have been working on a plan for 2 new tortoise tables (bunkbed style so one on top of the other) and would like to see what you think...
my drawing is rather bad and in no way to scale but I have written on the dimensions, Have also shown where lighting should go (of tried to anyway).

Here is my plan:

IMG_0781.jpg

the plan is to have about 9cm depth of substrate and 18cm heigh of walls for the tortoises (with a lip around the top to prevent escape) and I have measured and there is enough space between for the lamp (and I will add CHE if they are needed)
the reason for the precise measurements is as in needs to fit in the fireplace (to keep OH happy...)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Oh and just realised I missed off the length of the table it will be 95cm long...

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
What kind of tortoises do you have? I have a couple of redfoots and live in northeastern USA, so I had to cover the top with plexiglass to keep humidity and heat (during winter) inside. The reason I'm telling you this is because the Ceramic Heat Emitters I use don't provide much space for my plants - so if you're going to top your enclosures you may want higher walls.

My walls are currently ~45 cm and when I build another (soon!) they will be nearly a meter. Otherwise I have to avoid my plants contacting the CHE's.

Your design looks beautiful, good luck!

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
I have Horsfields, I have also learned plants don't last long... they get all eaten and trampled... but yes if I put plants in I make dure they are always away from heat sources...
thanks for the advice!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very nice....also please make sure that the light/heating device for the lower bunk has adequate airflow so not problems...:p

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
ascott said:
Very nice....also please make sure that the light/heating device for the lower bunk has adequate airflow so not problems...:p

yes I have been thinking about that...maybe I should get a snall fan...

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Merlin M said:
ascott said:

yes I have been thinking about that...maybe I should get a snall fan...

If you're not limited too much by height, you may be able to stretch it out a bit and drop the light away from the bottom of the "bunked" enclosure. A small fan would also work quite well if you don't want to space things out.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Redstrike said:
If you're not limited too much by height, you may be able to stretch it out a bit and drop the light away from the bottom of the "bunked" enclosure. A small fan would also work quite well if you don't want to space things out.

Ideally I would space things out much better, but I have a height limit of only 79cm!
OH wont let me take the fire surround away!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You could hinge 1/2 of the front of the lower enclosure, so you could open it to maintain, but keep the substrate from falling out.
Or, you could have the lower bunk on rollers or sliders, so you could pull it forward to attend to.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
lynnedit said:
You could hinge 1/2 of the front of the lower enclosure, so you could open it to maintain, but keep the substrate from falling out.
Or, you could have the lower bunk on rollers or sliders, so you could pull it forward to attend to.

that is a really good idea (or 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.