Table advise

abi87

Hi everyone, this is Rufus my 2yr old Russian tortoise and he has been with us for a couple of weeks now. I wanted to get a bit of advise to see how my set up is looking and if there is anything I need to change? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477511622.969563.jpg

Ed mitch

Looks good but I've been told that substrates not good as they can eat the "calcium bits." You should never let a tortoise eat its substrate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @abi87 and a very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Could you post a clearer pic of the enclosure? What is it made of?

Please read the"Beginners Mistakes" Thread and care sheet.

There's a section on "Enclosures" which would help you. ;)

abi87

Thanks for the advise, I'll have a look at the posts!

The table top is made from MDF wood. Is there a substrate that you would recommend? The reptile shop said to use this substrate and straw bedding, and although he likes to dig in it at night I'm not convinced this is the best.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477514935.400468.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477514953.806700.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to use orchid bark because it's clean of additives and can be moistened without going moldy or sour.

TheSulcata

I like to use orchid bark because it's clean of additives and can be moistened without going moldy or sour.

Would that work with sulcatas too? I know sulcatas are digging torts so just wanted to make sure

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone, this is Rufus my 2yr old Russian tortoise and he has been with us for a couple of weeks now. I wanted to get a bit of advise to see how my set up is looking and if there is anything I need to change?

It looks very nice but both of those substrates must go. And the water bowl too.

As Ed pointed out, it is a very bad idea to encourage them to eat their substrate to satisfy calcium cravings. Both of those substrate are also much too dry. They need a dampened substrate to help keep some moderate humidity, especially in an open table. The log hide is nice, but he also needs a humid hide that is more closed in. Orchid bark or coco coir will work best.

That water bowl is a flipping hazard. Terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate work best.

Also, pet shops are a notoriously bad source of incorrect info. They want to sell product. I don't want your money. I want you to have a healthy tortoise and a happy tortoise keeping experience.

Give these a read through:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

abi87

It looks very nice but both of those substrates must go. And the water bowl too.

As Ed pointed out, it is a very bad idea to encourage them to eat their substrate to satisfy calcium cravings. Both of those substrate are also much too dry. They need a dampened substrate to help keep some moderate humidity, especially in an open table. The log hide is nice, but he also needs a humid hide that is more closed in. Orchid bark or coco coir will work best.

That water bowl is a flipping hazard. Terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate work best.

Also, pet shops are a notoriously bad source of incorrect info. They want to sell product. I don't want your money. I want you to have a healthy tortoise and a happy tortoise keeping experience.

Give these a read through:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
That's great advice, thanks tom! I'll certainly make the changes to keep him happy. I can pick up a terracotta saucer from a local garden centre, what would you suggest for a humid hide? The pet store recommended I sprinkle arkvits twice a week on his food and calcium all of the other days, I just wanted to check this was right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what "arkvits" are, but if its a vitamin supplement, once a week is enough.

Calcium should only be used in small amounts about twice a week. Too much calcium, too often, interferes with the absorption of other minerals and trace elements.

I use black plastic dishwashing tubs for humid hides. I flip them upside down and cut out a door hole just big enough for the tortoise and keep the substrate under them damp. This will help your tortoise grow smoothly in your low humidity open topped indoor enclosure.