Surprising new Herman babies, looking for advise

Remie

Hi, my tortoise laid 8 eggs in July, did not bury so thought may not be viable, anyway incubated them and we now have 4/5 and awaiting the other three. This is a massive surprise !! I have four adult tortoises but very new to looking after babies.. They seem to be doing fine in their vivarium. What worries me, is the water bowl.. they are so tiny they get in then can't get out. Have since taken it out but put plenty of water over their food bowl. Just found one of them flipped over, did not look like he could flip back.. Advise really welcome..

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Congrats. Take out anything that can be a flipping hazard to these little guys. Can you post a picture of the water and food dishes?

Remie

Thank you..The only thing that is in at the moment is the food/water tray which is submerged into the bark, so more or less level .. will post a pic soon, thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and all your little babies.
Congratulations!!!
Perhaps a look at the Tortoise Breeding Forum here and maybe a post there would be helpful.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
When my Hermann's was smaller I put stones in the water dish so it was shallower.

Remie

I have four adult tortoises, but very new to babies.. my Hermann laid ( not buried ) 8 eggs, we thought not viable but four have hatched, one sadly has not made it and awaiting news on three others.. Here they are having their bath !!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 65

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Congrats! That's great and why they say always incubate. You never know.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Are you using a terra cotta plant saucer which works out great as the saucer is not slick and provides a better grip for the hatchlings when climbing in and out?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California