Sunlight

QRoseC

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
I try to bring Manfred outside as often as possible when it's nice and sunny out (there's been an abnormal amount of rain in Austin, lately, poor buddy) and I put him in a kiddie pool without water, never unsupervised.

Here's the question, does/will he get the full uva/uvb effects if he's not in full, direct sunlight? I feel like a little bit of time outside is better than no time outside. I usually bring him out in the evening as its started to cool down and the sun is still up, but sets opposite my yard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup. Ever notice when you go to the beach on an overcast day you still get a sunburn? The UV rays float around in the air. One doesn't need to be in direct sunlight to be in the rays. But there are fewer rays when the sun is at the horizon angle, and better coverage when the sun is overhead.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you can't get him into full sun everyday, then make use with what you can. I'd agree that outside time whenever you can is preferable.

QRoseC

Austin, TX
I really just need to figure out a way to make an outdoor enclosure predator proof. Lots of feral cats like to hang out on my patio, unfortunately.

Also, he loves it. Such a great smile! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464480486.631156.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you have a yard you could build an enclosure in? It's going to get very hot in Austin soon. You can put some substrate in that pool and then cover it with 1 inch hardware cloth to keep the cats out. But I would be worried about direct sunlight without any shade available.

QRoseC

Austin, TX
Yes, it's a good sized patio area and I do plan on building him a secure enclosure soon, right now I'm working on his indoor expansion. Not going to lie, I could use the sunlight, myself, so I don't mind sitting out with him (as I shooed a cat away a minute ago).

QRoseC

Austin, TX
And I'll be sure he has a place to hide and to burrow when it gets really hot.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I would add substrate in it anyway. You don't have to add a lot, but I imagine the plastic doesn't feel very "natural" for a tort.
And add a couple hides in there. Then you should be alright.