Manfred needs a bigger enclosure

QRoseC

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
Mr. Manfred is currently living in a ZooMed Tortoise House, which, I know is too small of a space for him. I have a bookshelf that I'm planning on using to improve his habitat, but I have a couple questions. First, the backing is particle board, so needs to be replaced. Is there a specific thickness and type (there are several on the Home Depot website) of plywood that y'all might recommend (more concerned about the type)?

Second, what do you recommend for covering the enclosure to keep Manfred safe from my curious kitties? The grated, locking part of the Tortoise House works well. I guess this second question is also relevant to the kiddie pool enclosure I have planned for him outdoors, too.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Mr. Manfred is currently living in a ZooMed Tortoise House, which, I know is too small of a space for him. I have a bookshelf that I'm planning on using to improve his habitat, but I have a couple questions. First, the backing is particle board, so needs to be replaced. Is there a specific thickness and type (there are several on the Home Depot website) of plywood that y'all might recommend (more concerned about the type)?

Second, what do you recommend for covering the enclosure to keep Manfred safe from my curious kitties? The grated, locking part of the Tortoise House works well. I guess this second question is also relevant to the kiddie pool enclosure I have planned for him outdoors, too.

If you line it with plastic, it won't make too much difference which type you use. Tileboard is nice and water resistant(not waterproof) in case your plastic leaks, but it will need to be reinforced with something sturdier. I would just attach some 2x4 pieces across the bottom(every foot or so) and put tile board over it like a traditional floor construction, then line it with plastic sheeting; will be cheap, plenty water resistant, and plenty sturdy.

QRoseC

Austin, TX
How difficult is it to cut tileboard? The only size my Home Depot has is WAY too big.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
It is easy to cut, but it is messier than regular wood - the dust is sticky and will get everywhere, so make sure you do it in an area where you don't mind reddish sticky dust getting all over everything.