Using reflector or mirror to re-direct sunlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila80

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
I'm getting ready to get a tortoise but we have a small yard and it doesn't get much direct sunlight.
I live in SoCal so i'm planing to keep my tortoise(s) outside year round.
Can I use reflector or mirror to redirect sunlight?
Has anyone tried this before?

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Hopefully someone will have better information than I do but I would be careful because a mirror might only reflect the light and not the important UV rays the tortoise will need. Maybe try modifying the cause (if possible) of whatever is inhibiting the lesser amount of sunlight like if it is a tree try trimming some branches so more light will come through. I hope I was some help :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Unless you are talking about deep shade there is probably still quite a bit of UVB. Can you post a picture?

Aquila80

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I searched online and certain mirrors and reflectors do not observe too much uv.
We do get some sun during the day in the summer ut not too long. Yard is surrounded by houses and high wall of fence. Don't the tortoises need at least 14 hours of direct sunlight?
I will try to take pictures this weekend since I work full time onweekdays.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Aquila80 said:
I searched online and certain mirrors and reflectors do not observe too much uv.
We do get some sun during the day in the summer ut not too long. Yard is surrounded by houses and high wall of fence. Don't the tortoises need at least 14 hours of direct sunlight?
I will try to take pictures this weekend since I work full time onweekdays.

No, they do not need 14 hours of direct sunlight.

If they are housed indoors with artificial uv lighting, they need those bulbs on for 12-14 hours because it gives out small amounts of UV when compared to how much they receive from the sun/outdoors.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wholly crap...all I picture with this title is like when you use a magnifying glass pointed at a leaf and "pooof" up in flames....eeeeekkkkk :p I think that I would perhaps re think that method and just figure a way to allow them some natural sunlight....lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oic. So I guess I don't have to worry too much
live in SoCal so i'm planing to keep my tortoise(s) outside year round.
We do get some sun during the day in the summer

All sounds good.... I would just make sure that the area is not watered all too much to keep the ground too wet for the tort...especially since you do get sun---if you don't get 6 + hours of direct sun then I would monitor the watering ....just my feeling :D

Status
Not open for further replies.