sun time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpezz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
I recently finished my sulcata's outdoor enclosure and he seems to really enjoy it. He has plenty of shaded areas to hide, but he just lays in the sun, its been in the mid to high 80's but in the sun it feels much hotter. So i guess my question is how long is it safe for him to lay in the sun, and if he wont move to the shade by himself should I bring him inside? Im afraid he will get heat stroke. I should also point out his previous owner kept him inside for 8 years so I am not sure if he really knows how to be a tortoise.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What no pictures :mad:
just kidding these guys bask in 112 f. So 80 f. is nothing for them to set and Sun all day.
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Use a temp gun and check his plastron and carapace temps.

Is he injured or unable to move for some reason? If not, he'll move when he gets warm enough.

Jpezz

5 Year Member
PA
945791_10151773183242527_1259707677_n.jpg536905_10151773183367527_987471782_n.jpgalso just today his eyes look watery could that bee from the sun he ws staring right at it. He moves fine I just dont think he is very smart

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is how they got the nickname "The Crying Tortoise".

Is there always some shade available? Looks like you might need more than just those covered corners.

If he is able bodied, then he is just enjoying the warm sunshine like every tortoise should. :D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I like the enclosure. It needs more plants for shade ,hides . The plants also give a humid hide. The tortoise is not dumb he has nowhere to go . Get some dirt and make him a hide out of the dirt and blocks. You will see a new tortoise.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Jpezz

5 Year Member
PA
that was while i was in the process of building it. most of the day it is shaded by a large tree and he has a hide box in it too that isnt in the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.