To sun or not to sun

glaerey

5 Year Member
Dear all,
Recently I got a yellow footed which is outright dehydrated. She is still eating but very slowly bit by bit, unlike their red footed cousins which practically gulp things down their throats. Is this their natural behavior?
As her shell is really soft, I'm soaking it every day in warm water with liquid calcium supplement and thinking of putting her out into the sun.
But I read somewhere that yellow footed can't really take much sun and will be fatal if expose to sun excessively. Pls advise whether i can do it.

Attachments

• 1385614957328.jpg
    1385614957328.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 101

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
She is beautiful. Really reallt beautiful.
Hiw did she get into this state?!
I hope she thrives with your care now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't put them in the sun. You put them outside in a well planted enclosure with lots of shade and cover and give them access to some sun if they want it. UV refracts and bounces around outside, so your tortoise will get UV even if she's hanging out in the shade.

glaerey

5 Year Member
Re: RE: To sun or not to sun

AnnV said:
She is beautiful. Really reallt beautiful.
Hiw did she get into this state?!
I hope she thrives with your care now.

Yeah, it's quite sad to see her in this condition. I can't imagine how the previous owner did it. I was offered and I took her back without a second thought. Can't bear to see such beautiful creature dwindle and lost.

redsn8k

5 Year Member
San Marcos, Ca
Yes what Tom said about shade and supervised outdoor time. We lost our baby Yellow Foot by putting him in an outside enclosure that had a hide but we did not supervise and he died. RIP Taco.