Jagged Shell Growth

Cagirl5

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara, CA
Hi everyone!

I've noticed that my sulcata, Dwight, has some really jagged growth lines. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help correct this.

Background: 5 years old, Sulcata, lives outside full time. He sleeps in a dog house with a hound heater; no lights, no heatpads. Bedding is grass that I feed my horse. He has access to grass 24/7. Also gets Mazuri every couple of days and veggies. He also eats the grass that he sleeps on. He has access to water and gets hosed off daily, as long as it's warm outside. He spends from 8am until 2/3pm out in the sun. He lays in the shaded areas as well so he's not in direct sun all day.

I've attached the pics, thanks :)

20170513_124152.jpg 20170513_124135.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hm-m-m, that really does look strange, doesn't it. The only thing I can think to do is to massage some coconut oil along the growth line. The dog heater isn't touching that area, is it?

Cagirl5

10 Year Member!
Santa Barbara, CA
Hm-m-m, that really does look strange, doesn't it. The only thing I can think to do is to massage some coconut oil along the growth line. The dog heater isn't touching that area, is it?

He's a good distance away and I don't think it blows directly on him either

14947073226162112073348.jpg

Bee62

Germany
What is a dog heater ? Could you please explain how it works ? Does it make hot air ? Hot air could dry out the shell of your sully.