Summer = too hot in closed chamber

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
Now that summer is approaching, how do I "cool down" an enclosed chamber?

My three CA desert torts (approx. 9 months) are in an enclosed chamber in my screened-in porch. However, the last few days have been over 100 and the ambient temperature inside the enclosure is over 85, sometimes close to 90. I've dumped in cold water on the substrate and it helped lower the temperature a smidgen. I've also limited the basking lights to 10am to 12pm.

Any suggestions or is it within acceptable temperature range? It just seems not safe for such young torts.

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to move them out of the porch or try providing something that blocks the sun from shining in. You can also stop using the UVB and let them get outside for a few hours a week or a couple daily, making sure they have lots of shade and water.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'd suggest you keep giving your torts soaks in warm water, and spraying the enclosures.;)

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
The torts go into their outdoor enclosures weather-permitting for 30-120 minutes a day (75 to 95F with misters). I'm going to add misters to the indoor enclosure and see if that helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ambient in the low 90s is good during the day. I would still leave on a basking spot for them to use if they choose. I just switch from 65 watt floods to 50 or 35 watt floods in summer to keep theming cooler.

Every enclosure is different, and must be individually managed, but I like it that they get hot temps in summer and cooler temps in fall or winter.

If the entire enclosure stars creeping past the mid 90s, then you might have to reconsider a few things. Remember where they come from. A summer day that is under 100 degrees is a rarity. Most days are over 100 by 8 or 9 in the morning. They retreat underground during those times, but its still super hot every day. 90s in captivity is not a problem as long as they get daily soaks , a humid hide, and stay hydrated.