Summer Harvesting

Welsh

Location (City and/or State)
Wales. U.K
So, it's been another boiling hot day here in Wales and I have been stuck indoors researching light bulbs, fixtures and weeds. I think I have the lighting and heat sorted, but then it dawned on me...what will I feed the tortoise if I get one? :eek: I've read on some sites that you shouldn't feed them store bought salads and food, so naturally I panicked as the only weeds I seem to have in my garden are a ton of buttercups and some forget me not's, plus plantain and dandelion leaves and some unidentified weeds too. I read the buttercups are toxic, but forget me not's and the others are fine to eat (not the unidentified) I thought about drying them out over the summer, so that when I decide to get the tortoise I will have some nice weeds ready for it. As I assume I wouldn't be able to grow anything myself, so late in the season?

Does anyone know if the weeds will lack nutrition after drying them out or would I need to add some sort of extra supplement?

I do also have thyme and lavendar growing too that have never been near pesticides and that I grew from seed myself three years ago, but I do use tomorite fertiliser on them - should I avoid?

Sorry for so many questions today. I just really need to feel like i'm well educated before I purchase my first tort. :tort:

Thanks for any help :)

Rue

Canada
Some people have had luck freezing weeds...I don't think drying them will work.

Store bought produce is fine...you just have to be careful what you buy and try not to only feed the produce.

You can grow your own food. I am going to see how that works for my situation - to supplement during the long cold winters where I have to rely on produce.

I just bought 2 hibiscus as part of that strategy....

Wasn't lavender a no-feed?

P.s. fertilizers are fine for the plants.

Welsh

Wales. U.K
I'll have to try freezing them myself. I read some people weren't having much luck and they were becoming mush when defrosted.

I think since its June, I could probably start growing some lettuce and other greens, but it does make it easier knowing that I can feed it store produce if necessary. I also don't have a greenhouse and the U.K weather can be temperamental, so I guess I'll have to see how it goes. :confused:

I've seen it on some lists and on here somewhere that its allowed. I was surprised when I saw it, but thrilled because I have so much of it lol.

Thank you for your help :)

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
No problem! I have been busy sorting through it all myself.

I would agree that variety is important...so I am planning on mixing it up the best I can.

Today ...since I was able to do a "weed walk"...I fed mine dandelion, wild rose buds and new leaves, lilac flowers, hawksbeard flowers and purslane. I also have a "lettuce planter" on the go ...

Finding plants has been a large part of the fun.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
There is a thread somewhere about freezing weeds and how it turned out after. If i can find it i will post it for you

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have never had success with freezing and Joe flatly refused dried ( you need to soak them)

Supplementing with pellets in the coldest months is OK. Turn every windowsill into a plant nursery too. It's also OK to use some store bought greens.

Welsh

Wales. U.K
So, this morning I went around my garden and tried to identify some weeds.

I found;

Sow thistle
Doves foot cranesbill
Willowherb
Forget me nots
Plantain
Dandelion leaves

Im kinda glad that we never got around to using that weed killer this year. Now, if I decide to get my tort within the next few weeks, it should have a steady supply of weeds to chow down on until winter. :D

I'm going to look into those pellets, I just read they weren't that great for tortoises. So, I tried to avoid. But, good to know, if I, struggling in the winter.

Thank you :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My favourite weed spot has just come up trumps after the recent rain.

Red clover, plantain, dandelion, sow thistle...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465220063.629365.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Stuff does grow but there's much less of it. And very few flowers for identification.

Because Joe hibernates the coldest period with least growth isn't a problem for me... except the winter he wasn't allowed to hibernate.

When weeds are slow the proportion of shop bought goes up and for the worst bit the pellets come out.