Sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amherstburg, Ontario
Hello Everyone,

First I'd like to indroduce myself my name is Ed I live in Canada, Ontario a stone throw away from Detroit. I came alone this site from doing web searches on information on the Tortise as a pet. Pretty much every question I had tryed looking up I have found here. Today I will be the owner of a one year old sulcata. He or she is coming from a local reptile shop today and is in pristine condition. The question I have is soaking and spraying. I read to allow the sulcata to soak for 15 min three times a week being a year old is this correct or should it be more often. Is luke warm TAP water ok for him to soak in? Also for spraying his shell with water how many times per day should we do it or how often? Does the water in the spray bottle need to be luke warm? And while spraying him with water how do you know that he got the proper amount? Can you over spray him? Is distilled water necessary for drinking water, soaking water, or spraying water. Oh ya my home is set at a temp of 68 at night and i figured that it may be a little cold for him? So should i purchase a red light for him for when his reg day times lights are off or should i get him a heating pad the shop recommend i went with a red bulb or a pad for the night hours. They Also recommend to run his day lights from 8am to 8pm and the red bulb or pad when they are off.

Thanks for any kind of help:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ed and Welcome to the Forum!!

Please read the "Important Threads" at the top of the sulcata section. I think most of your questions will be answered there. The first year of a sulcata's life is the most important when trying to grow them smoothly. After that its still good to keep them soaked and humid, but not quite as important as that first year.

Some people don't like the red lights at night because it sometimes causes the substrate to look (to the tortoise) like food, and they eat substrate. However, since I only turn on the red light after the tortoise has gone to bed, he's not going to be eating while he's sleeping, and I've never had that problem. Other folks will use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) instead of a red light. My personal choice is the light bulb. I wasn't happy with the CHE. You want your day light to be on for 12 to 14 hours. Then when you turn that off, you turn on the night heat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) check out the threads at the bottom of my post. Great info for raising a sulcata.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
Soaks are still pretty important at 1 yr old but not super critical as in the first year. I would soak him a minimum of 2 times a week for about 30 minutes. You should still have high humidity in the enclosure. Misting help keeps the humidity high. mist enough to keep the humidity around 70-80 percent. if you have high humidity then you DEF want higher temps than 68 degrees. depending on your substrate red bulbs I hear can be an issue. but some people like them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many of your questions depend on the size of the little guy. Size matters more than age, and so does the previous growth. If he is a year old, 6" and totally smooth, I'd say you can relax quite a bit. If he's 3" and a little pyramided, you'll get different advice.

Distilled water is not necessary. Warm water for soaks is necessary. Warm water in your spray bottle is not necessary.

The easiest way for you to heat and light is to put a mercury vapor bulb on a 12 hour timer, and a ceramic heating element on a thermostat. The thermostat will maintain the ambient temp you want 24/7, and the timer will ensure a regular day night cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.