Length of self soaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Andy likes to self soak for what seems like hours. His water is shallow and he just seems to like sitting in it. A couple of years ago I got the advice that I should limit his soaking time so that he wouldn't get shell rot. Is this true? If so, should I only allow him access to his water bowl at certain times or just give him a water bowl too small for him to soak in? After learning that I spent the last three years doing everything wrong, I really want to give this guy the best care I can from here on out.

Thanks!
Kristy

RonHays

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, Ms
Good question. I would like to see the answer myself. 2 of my redfoots dug a couple of holes in the ground and sit in the muddy water all day. I run a sprinkler twice a day and it keeps those mud holes nice and wet. They look real nasty when they come out, but as hot as it is during the day here in Mississippi, I don't mind them getting all muddy. Lol. As far as my baby sulcata goes, we have to soak her. He doesn't seem to care for the water.

Hopefully one of the experts on here can answer that question for you. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you are in hot climates (or summers get hot for your area) let them soak themselves as much as they like....even though you notice them soaking alot....I am betting that they do come out and when they do they can surely dry out....

The problem comes when a tort can not escape the wet boggy swampy earth to allow some healthy shell dry out from time to time or when they decide to do so....

A variety of tort species will react differently to water, mucking in the mud and such...Sulcata appear to have a like for water and I know Redfoots do as well.....so, let em soak.

Now the only word of caution I would offer is; if your tort is not a soaker or your tort is not a mucking of the mud warrior as part of his normal outdoor summer months routine and suddenly starts soaking in an unusual fashion...I would make sure all of your husbandry is in check and correct-- and if so, then let em soak...but if this is not normal summer outdoor behavior then could be a sign of a watchful eye needed....:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They don't normally do this, so it makes me question if there is some problem. Sulcatas are NOT at all prone to shell rot, but Ron, redfoots are. As long as the sulcata is getting out of the water and drying out for a bit each day, I don't think she'll rot will ever be a problem.

What sort of weather in what part of the country is this happening in?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Long self soaks can sometimes indicate a problem. Parasites if I recall correctly are the biggest reason, but as long as he does not get cold I would not stop him. I remember my ball python I use to have (died at 20) she (monty) would stay in her water bowl for up to 2 days at at time, even when she was not shedding, never say it as a problem really, just unusual.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Tom said:
They don't normally do this, so it makes me question if there is some problem. Sulcatas are NOT at all prone to shell rot, but Ron, redfoots are. As long as the sulcata is getting out of the water and drying out for a bit each day, I don't think she'll rot will ever be a problem.

What sort of weather in what part of the country is this happening in?

Tom my 2 younger redfoots mostly do this in the mud. Most of the time the water in the holes are from the sprinkler or rain. My adult redfoot doesn't care nothing about doing that. She loves to get out and get wet from the rain and sprinkler but doesn't waller in it like the younger ones do.

I live in Mississippi btw. Hot and humid summers. :)

happytrees72

5 Year Member
I am not tortoise expert but I am assuming that the tortoise himself will know when to get out. Sometimes mine needs to be placed in her pool and other times never gets out. From everything I have been able to read that soaking is good for them. It lets loosen up all kinds of things and inside things. Easier to poop and pee along with soften the skin for growing. I would just keep a close eye but I assume the tortoise knows what makes him feel good

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
That's what I'm thinking too happy trees. I think they just do it because of the hot summers we have. My redfoots just love to waller around like pigs in the mud. My sulcata I'm not sure about yet. We've only had him a few weeks so we're still on trial and error with him. We manually soak him every night for about 30 minutes until he goes into his indoor enclosure for the night. I know he's using the water dish to soak and drink out of during the day in his outside enclosure... He's leaving a few trophies in his wake. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.