I need Pros and cons on sulcatas,deserts,and
Leopard Tortoises I know sulcatas get big
And stuff

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sulcatas get big, can dig huge tunnels/burrow, can plow through fences. Has good personalities. This is all from what I have read on the forum and the reasons I didn't get one. I voted leopard, which is what I got. Not as personal, mine is only 2, so not sure about that. However, they don't burrow/tunnel and don't smash through things. Still gets big, just not as big. The care of the leopard and sulcata are the same, except the fences/enclosures need to be bull dozer proof for the sully. i have no idea about a DT Love my leopard.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
some pros and cons to a leopard:
pros:
they dont get as big as a sulcata, they normally dont dig unless nesting, their shells are always changing adding another fun aspect to watching them grow, and they have great personalities (all tortoise have great personalities IMO), and they rock!

Cons:
some say they are more susceptible to becoming pyramided, they are not as hardy as a sulcata especially as a hatchling, the purchase price is usually higher than a sulcata.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Make me choose between my babies? You CAD!

I voted for Sulcata ONLY because my 2 baby Leopards arn't "Officially" "Out Side Torts" yet

Do Sulcatas get big? OH YAH! Do they dig? Sure they do! Is it the coolest thing in the world to have a 100+lb tortois walking around your yard like he owns the place? BET THAT!

my Leopards will max out on size at less than 1/2 the size WalkingRock is now... and he is still a young, growing boy! ;)

Nikachu0315

5 Year Member
I need to know which is easier to keep I
Know sulcatas are like moving tanks
I'm thinking sulcata then leopard then desert

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Nikachu0315 said:
I need to know which is easier to keep I
Know sulcatas are like moving tanks
I'm thinking sulcata then leopard then desert

Easier to keep? In that case I would recommend a Leopard of the 3 you have chosen. Tho all 3 have about the same care for the 1st 2 or 3 years but the Sulcata and Desert Tortoise need more space and enviromental conditions when they get older and bigger.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Any of the three species would be very lucky to live in a backyard in Corona and any of the three would be a good fit for you.

I vote California Desert Tortoise (CDT). Primarily because of your location. CDTs have literally evolved to adapt perfectly to your environment. As a result, they will be the easiest for you to keep happy and healthy. They also hybernate and can withstand slightly colder temps than the sullys and leopards, which is a big plus in my book.

I've never owned a leopard, but I've ownd sullys and CDTs and they both have great personalities, IMO. Sullys are a little more outgoing. I've heard that leopards tend to be a bit shyer then the other two species.

The differences between the three are very minor and any would work in your situation.

Keep us posted and let us know what you decide. :)

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) My pick would be a Leopard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.