Sulcata Urination Q’s

graciemay98

Location (City and/or State)
OH
Hello!
First off, my question is: how is the normal urine supposed to look like? I thought liquid urine was healthy, but i have also read that “toothpaste” like consistently is healthy? I’m confused.
Anyways, my 2 year old sulcata seems to be pushing out clear liquid very often all of the sudden. He normally ONLY urinates & poops in his soaks. But now he’s doing it in his habitat, all over the house when he’s roaming. It’s super weird. Is this okay?

Thanks!!!!

OliveW

Branford, FL
Since this question has never been answered, I thought I'd give it a bump. I'm also confused about this subject.

I thought that urates WAS urine, just in varying consistencies. After reading up on it here it seems it's a completely different thing? Can someone clear this up please?

Also, my Sulcata usually only pees, as it's clear. I have seen white mixed in with his urine in the past, although it's just as thin as urine, like water. I haven't seen it in awhile. All his pee in the last two days has been clear, I know for certain because he's inside.

So, does this mean that urates is building up inside of him? It's not coming out with the pee at all. I've never seen any kind of lumps or pasty white anywhere in his enclosure, or noticed it coming out of him when he's walking - and I'm pretty sure I would notice.

I'm concerned that he's not ridding his body of it and will become sick.

Please explain to me like I'm a five year old. I need to understand WHAT it is, how often it should come out, and what it should look like. Nothing on this forum or even Google or vet pages has explained this clearly enough for it to sink in for me. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought that urates WAS urine, just in varying consistencies. After reading up on it here it seems it's a completely different thing? Can someone clear this up please?
You understand it correctly. Tortoises excrete urates which is the concentrated white stuff. Urates are the by-product of protein digestion. In a well hydrated tortoises, this waste can be passed as clear un-concentrated liquid, which is typical for babies that are soaked daily. The more dehydrated the tortoise gets, the more concentrated the urates get. Soft toothpaste, or lighter consistency is fine. When its starts to get harder or gritty, the is a warning sign that your tortoise need more hydration.

OliveW

Branford, FL
You understand it correctly. Tortoises excrete urates which is the concentrated white stuff. Urates are the by-product of protein digestion. In a well hydrated tortoises, this waste can be passed as clear un-concentrated liquid, which is typical for babies that are soaked daily. The more dehydrated the tortoise gets, the more concentrated the urates get. Soft toothpaste, or lighter consistency is fine. When its starts to get harder or gritty, the is a warning sign that your tortoise need more hydration.

@Tom thank you! The part I have bolded in red is exactly what I need to hear!

Reactions: Tom