Sulcata Update! (Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hey Tortoise Forum, what's hatching?

I haven't been up to par with any updates about my Sulcata, it's been about 6 months since I've posted anything. About my Sulcata though, I purchased it from Bluebeast Reptiles a local tortoise breeder here in Las Vegas & a well known forum member here on Tortoise Forum. I received it on November 2, 2008, it was a little bigger then 2" & up till now it's grown up to about 4". Somethings about my Sulcata, I've had it for a little more then 10 months & counting. I haven't fed it a single green since around January I suppose. It's been eating Mazuri Tortoise Diet since then. I sprinkle Rep-Cal, calcium w/d3 & herptivite multivitamin about twice a week. The substrate used varies, from 50:50 sand & coconut coir, to timothy hay & cypress mulch. It's had a humid hide since the time I got it. A lot of tweaking has been made with using a humid hide, from the substrate, to how moist it has to be kept, to what should i make a humid hide from. I recently started misting my Sulcata about a few months ago, to mimic the way a Redfoot, Yellowfoot & Cherryhead owner would do. My Sulcata doesn't mind it at all. The temperature is set to around 80-100 degrees around the main area of the enclosure. The substrate in the enclosure is kept dry. And now to the pictures, these picture shown are to show the growth & how there's zero to no pyramiding.

November 2008:

January 2009:

March 2009:

-SulcataDud3

September 11, 2009:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Curious, was not giving any greens just the mazuri an experiment type thing you are doing? Are you planning on continuing it? Does he eat much of the hay, when you use it as a substrate? He's a beautiful little guy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your little sulcata is growing great! Like Jacqui, I'm curious why you've decided not to feed greens. Most folks, even the directions on the bag of Mazuri, suggest you place down a bed of greens then place the moistened Mazuri on that.

Yvonne

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Jacqui said:
Curious, was not giving any greens just the mazuri an experiment type thing you are doing? Are you planning on continuing it? Does he eat much of the hay, when you use it as a substrate? He's a beautiful little guy.
The way this started was, I used to feed my Sulcata the "Spring Mix" & on top of that I would have moistened Mazuri Tortoise Diet. As for a lot of caretakers they've had the problem of there tortoise just going for the greens & that was my problem. My Sulcata would eat & then just leave the left overs to dry. I kept trying to find out how much my tortoise could eat, but there were always left overs. I decided that I would just feed it the Mazuri. I've read & researched this product through many websites, forums & had talked to a few people who have been using this product consecutively. I read what -EJ had done for one of his Sulcata's, how he captive raised it strictly on Mazuri. To see the output after 8 years if I recall, just being fed Mazuri I was surprised at how good of shaped his Sulcata was. And the same goes for Richard Fife & one of his Sulcata's that were raised in a environmental chamber & only fed ZuPreem Monkey Chow (primate diet) & Mazuri Tortoise Diet. I would never lay a hand on ZuPreem though even how positive the output were to be for his Sulcata. Here's a old picture of the progress Richard Fife's Sulcata made. When I was using Timothy Hay as a substrate, it never ate it. I plan to continue feeding it Mazuri for another year or till it reaches a size where pyramiding won't be as big of an issue.

-SulcataDud3

M

Maggie Cummings

I also think he looks smaller then he should. In my experience Sulcata grow rapidly and he should weigh over a pound at the age he is now and it doesn't look like he does. It's too bad you didn't put something next to him for size reference. I believe there is much more to healthy growth then simply a smooth shell...while I have nothing against Mazuri (I feed it myself) it is not natural for them to not have graze or greens, IMHO it's just not normal or right. I feel bad for that little tortoise.

I see you added a picture while I was typing my reply but my opinion doesn't change. Raised correctly on graze and greens there shouldn't be any problem with pyramiding. That is a picture of someone elses tortoise?

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
maggie3fan said:
I also think he looks smaller then he should. In my experience Sulcata grow rapidly and he should weigh over a pound at the age he is now and it doesn't look like he does. It's too bad you didn't put something next to him for size reference. I believe there is much more to healthy growth then simply a smooth shell...while I have nothing against Mazuri (I feed it myself) it is not natural for them to not have graze or greens, IMHO it's just not normal or right. I feel bad for that little tortoise.

I see you added a picture while I was typing my reply but my opinion doesn't change. Raised correctly on graze and greens there shouldn't be any problem with pyramiding. That is a picture of someone elses tortoise?
I tried using the gray bowl as of a size comparison as you can see. The next time I soak my Sulcata, you'll see a size difference in the same container I've been soaking it in. I've had my Sulcata for a little more then 10 months & it's grown about an inch & a half. In a single year a Sulcata can grow up to a maximum of 2" possibly more depending on it's diet, size of enclosure, heating & lighting essentials. My Sulcata's pretty heavy I'd say. I haven't weight it, but give or take it's about a pound or more. Everyone has there own opinions, it's like the way parents take care of there children. Everyone has there own way of doing it, they all want there children to be healthy & live long. As for the same way we caretakers want for our tortoises. Either way I respect it. That's very true that being raised on graze & greens the correct way you can still manage to have zero to no pyramiding. This is my first time raising a hatching strictly on Mazuri & so far I haven't had anything, but good results. Yes, that picture is Richard Fife's Sulcata. It was being raised in a environmental chamber & only fed ZuPreem Monkey Chow (primate diet) & Mazuri Tortoise Diet.

-SulcataDud3

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
No criticism here, the tortoise looks beautiful, very nice shell and face, doesn't look like any over developement.

M

Maggie Cummings

I think you could achieve the same results by feeding a varied diet including greens and mostly graze, and with the correct humidity. IMO it's humidity that prevents pyramiding. While I do supplement with Mazuri, I would be afraid to feed a diet consisting of just Mazuri because the 'extra' stuff that is in it. Like corn husks, soybean hulls, wheat middlins, and other stuff I can't pronounce and am not going to hunt up now. Please don't think I am criticizing you, I am more disagreeing with you. I feel bad for that tortoise that doesn't know the pleasure of grazing or biting into a piece of butter lettuce.
I have seen Ed's tortoises and their shells are indeed smooth and nice looking. But there is much more to raising a tortoise then attaining a smooth shell. I just think that it's wrong to take an animal who is suppose to graze and not allow him to do something that would be normal for him. I will step out of this thread now because I don't want to fight with you and as you know this is a topic that we could argue about till kingdom come.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
More pictures of my Sulcata as of today & size comparison pictures being in the soaking container (compare with the March 2009 picture). That's a 6 month time span from then to now.

-SulcataDud3

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sulcutadud3, could you take a measurement of your sully for us. He/she has a wonderful looking carapace. Wt and SCL length? Please. :)

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Crazy1 said:
Sulcutadud3, could you take a measurement of your sully for us. He/she has a wonderful looking carapace. Wt and SCL length? Please. :)
I don't have a scale I can weight it on, but I'll get a measurement in sometime this week for sure.

-SulcataDud3

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
that's the same little guy? i am amazed at how his shell changed color. I got Percy when he was 3 or 5 so his shell has stayed the same color.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
janiedough said:
that's the same little guy? i am amazed at how his shell changed color. I got Percy when he was 3 or 5 so his shell has stayed the same color.
First off, I want to thank everyone for the nice comments. Yup, it's still the same little guy. I made a thread a few months back & I remember saying something about how I thought my Sulcata's shell was growing lighter, but I can't say it has been. If I can recall, I remember reading that the amount of heat & exposure to UV rays are what causes the change of a tortoises shell color depending on the species. I'm not sure if this is a proven fact though.

-SulcataDud3

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Crazy1 said:
Here's a picture of it alongside of a tape measure.

-SulcataDud3

Status
Not open for further replies.