Sulcata tortoise

kriss389

Location (City and/or State)
Spokane valley
My thought was the back of the plastron, not the carapace above the tail.
Im sorry what do you mean ?
My thought was the back of the plastron, not the carapace above the tail.
Can someone please explain what he's tryong to say please ,i do not want my tortoise to suffer or what he is saying about it being a recipe for disaster😔 i have an appt for him on Wednesday and now im feeling very afraid on taking him .i dont want my baby to suffer or die😢😭💔

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I think the pictures are confusing because it’s such an unusual thing. if you think of your tortoise as a clock with the head at 12 o’clock and the tail at 6 o’clock could you take a photo of the Tortoise from 5 pm and 7 pm? Or maybe a 360° photos so we could see the front of the shell side of the shell the back of the shell and maybe the diagonals. It’s very hard to make out from the photos what is going on

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Im sorry what do you mean ?

Can someone please explain what he's tryong to say please ,i do not want my tortoise to suffer or what he is saying about it being a recipe for disaster😔 i have an appt for him on Wednesday and now im feeling very afraid on taking him .i dont want my baby to suffer or die😢😭💔

Something need to be done - I'd think they're more likely to trim the supracaudal scute and not do anything to the plastron. The plastron looks normal, the supracaudal scute being so close to the anal scutes is the problem

kriss389

Spokane valley
I think the pictures are confusing because it’s such an unusual thing. if you think of your tortoise as a clock with the head at 12 o’clock and the tail at 6 o’clock could you take a photo of the Tortoise from 5 pm and 7 pm? Or maybe a 360° photos so we could see the front of the shell side of the shell the back of the shell and maybe the diagonals. It’s very hard to make out from the photos what is going on
I will take photos when i get home ,but do you think if the vet that's going to see him told me she can do it with out even seen him? Should i feel safe/confident? Honestly since you said about cutting him and that it's a recipe for disaster I've been very scared and paranoid on taking him in😔

kriss389

Spokane valley
Something need to be done - I'd think they're more likely to trim the supracaudal scute and not do anything to the plastron. The plastron looks normal, the supracaudal scute being so close to the anal scutes is the problem
What is the supracaudal scute? And plastron? And anal scutes ?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The supracaudal scute is on top, that has grown down curving under. The anal scutes are the ones on the bottom that point out, looking like a 'v'.

kriss389

Spokane valley
The supracaudal scute is on top, that has grown down curving under. The anal scutes are the ones on the bottom that point out, looking like a 'v'.
Oh okay thank you! The bottom one looking like a V seems like it grew curving up instead of straight? I have a picture of my friends back in California and it looks normal compared to my baby😔 mines is on the right 😥

Attachments

• IMG_20230301_171519_113.jpg
    IMG_20230301_171519_113.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230222_180513.jpg
    20230222_180513.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 6

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Oh okay thank you! The bottom one looking like a V seems like it grew curving up instead of straight? I have a picture of my friends back in California and it looks normal compared to my baby😔 mines is on the right 😥

Theres some natural variation in the sizes and shapes of both supracaudal and anal scutes; it might be that this animal was just unfortunate to have a combination that doesn't work.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
let us know what the vet says. it might indeed be some kind of deformity, but not sure if it is is it better to leave it or try to fix it...

kriss389

Spokane valley
let us know what the vet says. it might indeed be some kind of deformity, but not sure if it is is it better to leave it or try to fix it...
So they told us to leave him ,there going to sedate him and do a minimal cut on the top part .honestly she didn't convince me that she knows alot about sulcatas but at this point i needed to do something to help him, and its going to cost me around 700 dollars they said itll be like 4-5 hours i can go pick him up

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Wonderful news! Share pics when you get the chance…