Sulcata tortoise

kriss389

Location (City and/or State)
Spokane valley
I notice that my sulcata tortoise shell has grown so that a thin ,almost translucent edges of it has started to obstruct his tail.is there a safe way to trim it ?or can i file it down? Or what should i do ,i feel terrible for him since he hasn't been able to poop for the past couple weeks.please help!

Attachments

• 20230222_180516.jpg
    20230222_180516.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230222_180513.jpg
    20230222_180513.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230222_180509.jpg
    20230222_180509.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230222_180506.jpg
    20230222_180506.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 12

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Does not look real. Can you post some pictures of the tortoise full body.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The shell above the tail on a male sulcata grows like that in order to help guide in his 'private parts' when breeding. It's perfectly normal.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
From the pictures I see, that is not normal. The supracaudal looks like it has become very overgrown and is closing up the opening between it and the anal scutes. Never have seen this. From what I see, I would be concerned.

Can we see a picture of the underside of the tortoise and showing that opening better?

kriss389

Spokane valley
I have an appointment on Wednesday for him ,i will post the pictures of the underside of him tomorrow.

kriss389

Spokane valley
From the pictures I see, that is not normal. The supracaudal looks like it has become very overgrown and is closing up the opening between it and the anal scutes. Never have seen this. From what I see, I would be concerned.

Can we see a picture of the underside of the tortoise and showing that opening better?
Is it life threatening? My poor baby😔 why do you think this happened and can it be fixed?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it life threatening? My poor baby😔 why do you think this happened and can it be fixed?
This tortoise is too large to be under heat lamps. You are permanently damaging the carapace. It should also not be living on the floor. Its too cold, too slick, and any number of things down there can kill it. It happens all the time. Your tortoise needs a large tortoise enclosure with the correct temperatures, heating equipment, and lighting. It is very difficult to do this in a cold climate.

Since the shell issue you are seeing does not normally happen, my best guess is that is related to some element of your housing, heating, or diet.

kriss389

Spokane valley
Really?? I thought i was doing good 😔 .we moved out to Washington 1 year ago and there's hardly any sun 😩 we are originally from Southern California and he was fine .ever since we came out here it's been hard to keep him at the right temperatures. It's always snowing out here 🤦‍♂️ .i feel terrible now that you say these things since i thought i was doing a good job in trying to keep him warm😥 .what would you suggest? Please help me out 🙏

kriss389

Spokane valley
This tortoise is too large to be under heat lamps. You are permanently damaging the carapace. It should also not be living on the floor. Its too cold, too slick, and any number of things down there can kill it. It happens all the time. Your tortoise needs a large tortoise enclosure with the correct temperatures, heating equipment, and lighting. It is very difficult to do this in a cold climate.

Since the shell issue you are seeing does not normally happen, my best guess is that is related to some element of your housing, heating, or diet.
He is 5 years old

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Really?? I thought i was doing good 😔 .we moved out to Washington 1 year ago and there's hardly any sun 😩 we are originally from Southern California and he was fine .ever since we came out here it's been hard to keep him at the right temperatures. It's always snowing out here 🤦‍♂️ .i feel terrible now that you say these things since i thought i was doing a good job in trying to keep him warm😥 .what would you suggest? Please help me out 🙏
I don't know how to keep a giant tropical tortoise in that climate correctly. You'd need a 50x50 foot insulated heated warehouse with floor heat and lot of overhead lighting. They need warmth and sunshine. I would not keep this species in a climate that isn't warm and sunny most of every year. Its too difficult and expensive to meet their needs indoors, and most people who try do not meet their needs. I would suggest finding a home in a warm sunny state for him, and getting a tortoise that can be easily housed indoors most of every year.

kriss389

Spokane valley
I don't know how to keep a giant tropical tortoise in that climate correctly. You'd need a 50x50 foot insulated heated warehouse with floor heat and lot of overhead lighting. They need warmth and sunshine. I would not keep this species in a climate that isn't warm and sunny most of every year. Its too difficult and expensive to meet their needs indoors, and most people who try do not meet their needs. I would suggest finding a home in a warm sunny state for him, and getting a tortoise that can be easily housed indoors most of every year.
Thank you for your words ,i never thought I'd be separated from him 💔 but i need to face the facts what's best for him

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A shed insulated and heated is what you need. Use oil filled portable radiator space heater to heat it. I have leopards and live in Chicago. I use tube florescent for uvb and flood bulbs for basking and the oil filled radiator space heaters. . Lots of people have tortoises in the cold snowy states. It's not that hard to do, just more expensive. Every state, even California has their cold temps to deal with, some of us for more days then others. Those in warmer states use night boxes. If they have to stay in for a long time they don't have much room. Sheds are the way to go in my opinion if there are days they might not be able to go outside, at least they have room to roam around
Some people will turn a garage into a winter house but it is more work I feel then building an appropriate shed.

kriss389

Spokane valley
A shed insulated and heated is what you need. Use oil filled portable radiator space heater to heat it. I have leopards and live in Chicago. I use tube florescent for uvb and flood bulbs for basking and the oil filled radiator space heaters. . Lots of people have tortoises in the cold snowy states. It's not that hard to do, just more expensive. Every state, even California has their cold temps to deal with, some of us for more days then others. Those in warmer states use night boxes. If they have to stay in for a long time they don't have much room. Sheds are the way to go in my opinion if there are days they might not be able to go outside, at least they have room to roam around
Some people will turn a garage into a winter house but it is more work I feel then building an appropriate shed.
Waow!! Thank you soooo much for this!! I needed this💙 i was feeling so depressed after getting some of the feedback from here .but YOU just gave me hope 🙏🙏 and i thank you and appreciate you for that ..🙏

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do a search on here for Maggie3fan and Bob's shed. She lives in Corvalis, OR and the weather is less than optimal.

kriss389

Spokane valley
Do a search on here for Maggie3fan and Bob's shed. She lives in Corvalis, OR and the weather is less than optimal.
I will will thank you guys so much for your help 🙏🙏 i have an appointment at the veterinarian for him on Wednesday. You think his problem is fixable or no? Im so scared i pray they can help him with out hurting him😔

kriss389

Spokane valley
I took pics of his underside

Attachments

• 20230304_125653.jpg
    20230304_125653.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230304_125651.jpg
    20230304_125651.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230304_125629.jpg