Trimming my Tortoise's Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalcyonMH

5 Year Member
Hi, I've been left with my brother's tortoise while he's at university and I've noticed that the tortoise's shell has grown so that a thin, almost translucent edge of it has started to obstruct its tail. Is there a safe way to trim this back, or should I file it down or something other?

Reactions: myk

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
No. You should not cut or file the shell, it will be painful to him.
If you can post a picture from the back, and a photo of his plastron (underneath)
Also what species is he?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi HalcyonMH:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I think what Yvonne meant was that YOU shouldn't undertake to file the shell. But yes, it can be done. You should take the tortoise to a qualified tortoise vet and ask to have the shell filed. They use a Dremmel and file the edge to shape it so the tortoise is better able to defaecate.

A tortoise's shell is similar to our fingernails. You have to know what you're doing so you don't get into the part that's living. It will bleed and it is very painful, just like your finger nail if you go down into the nail bed.

Reactions: myk

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Yes yvonne, I did mean not for it to be done by a amateur, But what i was also getting at was how bad is it, and for us to get a birds eye view to assess what the shell is like..
But in a nut shell dont try and do it yourself, even i would not like to do it...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If its what I think it is (please show a picture), its new growth, where the edges looks very thin and translucent as described. No reason for worry if its that, it will grow out, and does not need trimming. Only reason besides some sort of injury that a tort may need something trimmed is if they aren't given hard surfaces to walk and eat on...then you may see overgrown beak and/or nails, which then would be recommended to have someone experienced trim it. Shell is very different from beak & nails though. Its tail likely tucks under it so maybe it just looks to obstruct? But yes, photo please.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Yes, a picture would be great!
Does it look something like this? Where the edges are kind of flared and translucent? If so, that is normal.
IMG_1463.jpg

(I tried to find a good picture in my Photobucket but this was the best I could find, sorry.)

HalcyonMH

5 Year Member
Hi, yeah, as for introductions, I'm Leon, from Leicester, England. The tortoise is George, I'm not sure which species. The edges are like the picture above, but the big shell segment at the very back is tighter to the body.
Photo262.jpg

this is the underside.
Photo263.jpg

I'm glad that this isn't as serious as what I thought it could have been. cheers for your help so far.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Leon:

Yeah, that does look like it might inhibit the tail from being able to come out. I think you should have a vet take a look at it and see if it needs to be filed.

I'm going to take a stab and say its a Hermanns.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I dont think its a Hermans, Hermans have 2 tail scutes,
Greeks have one tail scute, No spurs visible:)
I would say a male russian , :tort:

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I can see why Yvonne thinks Hermann's, especially from the first picture.
I'm thinking an oddly shaped Russian? (Maybe even MBD?) The plastron looks all Russian to me.

Can you share more pictures with us? Maybe a top view of your tort?
Also, can you tell us more about how you care for your tortoise? Diet, enclosure, substrate, lighting/heating, etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, you're all probably correct, as the plastron is a dead give-away. I was going by the curved carapace. I've never seen a russian's carapace curve downward like that.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
HalcyonMH said:
Hi, yeah, as for introductions, I'm Leon, from Leicester, England. The tortoise is George, I'm not sure which species. The edges are like the picture above, but the big shell segment at the very back is tighter to the body.
Photo262.jpg

this is the underside.
Photo263.jpg

I'm glad that this isn't as serious as what I thought it could have been. cheers for your help so far.

Hi Leon

I know. Leicester well, I was born in Loughborough and worked for a while in Leicester...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.