Sulcata Substrate Help!

Michael Malone

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Tx
I just recently got a baby's sulcata. I have been wanting one for a few years now. I am an experienced turtle keeper but this is my first tortoise. So I'm a little out of my element about a few things. I have done tons of research but I'm still trying to figure out the best substrate to use. I went and got some coconut coir. But I know that sulcatas like a dryer climate and I just don't want it to be to humid. Is there somthing I could
Mix it with? What are your suggestions?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496806569.006641.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I see you did your research in all the wrong, bad, outdated places.
Your sully needs at least a 80% humidity with temps no lower then 80 day and night and a basking spot of 95-100.
Please do more research only on this forum in the sulcata section for all the correct info.

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
Hello and Welcome. I see you did your research in all the wrong, bad, outdated places.
Your sully needs at least a 80% humidity with temps no lower then 80 day and night and a basking spot of 95-100.
Please do more research only on this forum in the sulcata section for all the correct info.

Ok I defiantly will thank you. So do u think straight coco coir would be a good substrate now that I know what humidity needs to be at?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok I defiantly will thank you. So do u think straight coco coir would be a good substrate now that I know what humidity needs to be at?
I like straight coir, it works great for humidity and doesn't mold. Lots of people don't like it because it gets all over the place. What you can do is get the coir nice and wet with warm/hot water, put it in the enclosure and pack it down really good. Then if it still gets into everything and you don't like it, put a layer of orchid bark on top. Also a low sided clay saucer for a water dish and you can place flat stones or wood chips around that if that's the only problem place with the coir getting in to it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Remember a high humidity has to have a warm, not below 80 degree temp for your baby to grow up nice and smooth. A high humidity with colder temps will make your baby sick.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Remember a high humidity has to have a warm, not below 80 degree temp for your baby to grow up nice and smooth. A high humidity with colder temps will make your baby sick.
At what age do you not have to have it as humid

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Around two or so they can have a humid hide but as much humidity as you can give won't hurt as long as it's warm enough too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just recently got a baby's sulcata. I have been wanting one for a few years now. I am an experienced turtle keeper but this is my first tortoise. So I'm a little out of my element about a few things. I have done tons of research but I'm still trying to figure out the best substrate to use. I went and got some coconut coir. But I know that sulcatas like a dryer climate and I just don't want it to be to humid. Is there somthing I could
Mix it with? What are your suggestions?View attachment 209675

Hello and welcome.

As Barb mentioned most of the info floating around out there in the world is based on 30 year old incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild. This is NOT a desert species. They thrive in hot humid conditions, just like what they hatch into in the wild as the start of the monsoon season. Yes the area is arid for part of each year, but they are deep underground in warm damp burrows during that time.

Please read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Fine grade orchid bark is the best substrate for them and it should be kept damp.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Around two or so they can have a humid hide but as much humidity as you can give won't hurt as long as it's warm enough too.
Ok thanks. I have the reptifogger tube entering the hide. There is a basking light with temps around 95 underneath and a gradient. It's just not as closed in of a system as I had... but he was too big for the aquarium to keep him in it and we almost had a house fire from the heat lamp. So I got two zoomed tortoise houses and connected them temporarily while we design a large enclosure. I can put pieces of thick plastic over the grate to kindof try and keep the humidity in maybe

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can I ask, how did the fire almost happen? Nice to learn what not to do, just incase.

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
Thx tom will defiantly get some of that also and read those articles. I just did his enclosure with the coco coir substrate and I can already see a change in his behavior in the couple weeks I have had him he's is more active in the more humid environment he seems a lot happier and he dosent retreat into his shell when I'm around or when i hold him.

tortlover73

5 Year Member
Can I ask, how did the fire almost happen? Nice to learn what not to do, just incase.
It was a 100 gallon aquarium. Had a board with the lamps mounted on the underside. Dumb cat likes to lay on the board because it was warm. Knocked the board into the enclosure the heat lamp caught the substrate on fire...smoldered mainly but actually cracked the tank too. I woke up to whole house smelling like smoke. I'm a vet so I put Cooper in the oxygen cage for a few days just in case.