Substrate for outdoor enclosure

JoeyA95

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Wanting to do a small outdoor enclosure in our "yard" (like 5 by 8 feet maybe) but I'm not sure what to use as substrate? Because what's out there now is dirt/soil but I think it has fertilizers in it and I'm not sure if that's okay for my tort. I don't want to plant grass, I've tried twice now and failed >_< Could I use pebbles/small rocks? Coconut coir? Play sand? Right now for main indoor enclosure I use the expandable coconut fiber eco earth stuff, should I use that? Thanks for any feedback!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Dump out a few bags of no frills top soil a few inches deep and then another few inches of mulch on top of that.
Once it starts to degrade, it will act like a rich medium to grow grasses.
Avoid pebbles and rocks. Tortoises will sometimes try to eat them.
While at the hardware store, get a few 8x8 or 10x10 inch pavers and place them inside. Walking across and eating from pavers keep beaks and nails trimmed.

Attachments

• 20170705_145951.jpg
    20170705_145951.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 29

JoeyA95

Oregon
Dump out a few bags of no frills top soil a few inches deep and then another few inches of mulch on top of that.
Once it starts to degrade, it will act like a rich medium to grow grasses.
Avoid pebbles and rocks. Tortoises will sometimes try to eat them.
While at the hardware store, get a few 8x8 or 10x10 inch pavers and place them inside. Walking across and eating from pavers keep beaks and nails trimmed.
Thank you!