Sulcata size and weight

gg888

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hey :)

I just thought I'd check in and get some opinions on my Sulcata Barnie.
We adopted him age three (according to his previous owner) so that would make him around four now.
We adopted him with significant pyramiding, poor thing! Basically, he lived in a small rabbit cage, filled with sand and soil and with no source of water. He was soaked once a week, and his diet consisted of butternut squash, kale and hay.

By the way, he is most definitely a boy, as he is always showing us!

I have increased his humidity, and he is now soaked every day. His diet consists of mainly weeds that I grow myself, as well as romain and kale.

He measures 9" (carapace length) and weighs around 7lbs. I was just wondering if this is an ideal size/weight or if he is small for his age.

Thank you in advance, and I have attached some pictures :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 65

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They grow at wildly different rates for a wide variety of reasons. Given what you've told us, I think his size is great. I have seen bigger at that age, and I have seen smaller.

Even with his pyramiding, he looks to be in very good shape.

Do you still feed him some grass or grass hay? That would be good in addition to the weeds.

gg888

England
They grow at wildly different rates for a wide variety of reasons. Given what you've told us, I think his size is great. I have seen bigger at that age, and I have seen smaller.

Even with his pyramiding, he looks to be in very good shape.

Do you still feed him some grass or grass hay? That would be good in addition to the weeds.
I'm relieved because I always worry he's too small or something. He has constant access to either grass or hay and he's always grazing. I can't help thinking he's older than I think though.