Sulcata shell growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camelot

5 Year Member
Roxie said:
Thank you for answering my question that he should not be soft at all. He is about 5-6" in length. He came to me soft, but I thought it was normal hatchling soft.
maybe

OK, now I'm concerned again.

Camelot is 6 months old and appears very healthy and happy. He's outside sunbathing with Bogie and Bacall right now (eating clover and crape myrtle leaves). If there is no sun (such as the cold months coming up he is under 10-12 hours of UVB/UVA lighting and I bathe him for 20 minutes a night. He pees and poos daily.

But he is only 3 " in length. I feed him twice a day and he woofs it down until he's full, then walks away.

I feed him baked pumpkin, outdoor grasses and clovers on the "good list" and Romaine twice a week. He would prefer it every day. I generously sprinkle Calcium with D on it.

I can NOT get him to take a bite out of his Timothy hay.

But why is yours so big and mine is so small or is he getting ready to spurt up in the next couple of months?

His shell is hard and pyramid free.

The 3-4 year olds that FRESHMARINE.COM (STAY AWAY!) sent me are 4.25 and 4.5" long with severe pyramiding and they arrived coated with a shiny surface, much like a glazed donut.

In fact Camelot and my dogs both started trying to pick little bits off their toenails and shell. Camelot even tried to peck a piece of beak to eat.

(I think it was sugar-y) I washed it off immediately.

I found this thread after reading about your recent loss and am so sorry. So WHAT would make a 1 year old Sulcata simply die?! :(

Elvis looks EXACTLY like my precious Camelot except his lower scutes aren't flipped up. Could it have something to do with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.