SULCATA RAMMING BEHAVIOR

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rome, OH
I know this is normal behavior but has anyone had any success curbing this behavior? Or do I need to just learn to stay out of his way?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Is it just you? No other tortoises in the vicinity? No dogs...cats...NOTHING? You've got a mighty dominant animal on your hands...is this the two year old you were thinking about rehoming? In any event...a big boulder or a boomer ball (the ball zoos provide for bears and big cats) might help...a little! ;)

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
It is the 2 year old. And just me if I'm in the way. The ball is a good idea

Big B

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
I have a pair of work shoes that my sulcata hates, he gets a little pushy when I wear then in his pen.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
I will try it if he continues (if I don't rehome him). Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

This is not going to sound exactly correct, but Bob has rammed me and knocked me down a few times. So now when he gets all gathered up to ram, I put my foot in his face. Stops him every time, then I put my face next to him and just yell anything. So far so good, he seems to have learned. But he's not 2 yrs old, he's 17 and weighs 120....

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
This is not going to sound exactly correct, but Bob has rammed me and knocked me down a few times. So now when he gets all gathered up to ram, I put my foot in his face. Stops him every time, then I put my face next to him and just yell anything. So far so good, he seems to have learned. But he's not 2 yrs old, he's 17 and weighs 120....
Come on mags, rubbin's part of racing

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
I can't imagine getting rammed by 120 lb Bob! I hope he didn't seriously hurt you. I think I will try that next time thanks

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
This isn't about ramming- but climbing out... clapping my hands and yelling No makes him stop trying to climb out of the enclosure! They can learn...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cassieopia,

What size tortoise and what size enclosure?