Sulcata is suddenly aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a 4 year old sulcata (I believe it's a female & 11" long) and lately it has gotten aggressive towards my wife and kids. She follows them around the yard and tries to bite their toes, no ramming or hissing just biting. She does not do this to me ,only the wife and kids and they spend more time with her than I do. Any explantions for this behavior and suggestions to stop this would be appreciated.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a female that is aggressive sometimes too. Don't worry about it. Have you tried feeding it? When any of our torotises come to us, we give them a hibiscus flower. Distracts them for going for the toes.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. Oregon
Don't know the answer but by any chance does your wife's or kids toenails painted? Maybe she thinks they're Hibiscus or if you feed them Mazuri:)

I know it sounds funny but you never know

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually sulcata aggression is displayed by ramming. They pull in their head and lunge at you, striking you with the gular. Hurts mighty bad!!! My guess is that it isn't aggression, but trying to get food from the food god. They usually think of the human that feeds them as food. However, not having seen your tortoise's behaviour, I may be all wet.

Yvonne

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yes, they have painted toenails so that is probably it. thanks for the input

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Ours always go for my painted toes or anything shiney on my sandals, etc. They actually chase me around and I usually have to go put on my mud shoes!!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
FGCinHB, Yep my DT will try and get toes that are painted, "Lovely little flowers you have there", is what I think they are thinking. They don't bother my white tennis shoes or my black mud shoes. So just make sure you all have shoes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.