Sulcata Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkmonkey

5 Year Member
Hi All!

I'm new here. I've owned a redfoot for 6 years and she is so lively with an excellent personality. I want to get her a hatchling cherryhead redfoot lifelong friend soon. So, I do have some experience in tortise care.

Can a sulcata hatchling be raised in a redfoot environent? I read Tom's pyramiding thread and assume it would be ok since my redfoots environment is humid but want confirmation first.

I do realize the different diets and the sulcata will eventually need his/her's own home.

I plan on building a 3'x7' tortise table soon for the 3 torts. I currently use a 160 watt Powersun. What substrate would suit both species?

Any anvice is appreciated. Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
First off, hi and welcome! Your going to get some varying opinions on even mixing two species, some members are very opposed to it and some are very fine with it. The same will be true of having two animals together even. :D So please, don't let our passionate way of giving our opinions bother you. Okay now that you have been warned.... :D

My own opinion is that these two species (the cherry and the sulcata) have too many differing environmental needs to be compatable roommates, even before you get into things like disease issues. For instance the sulcata will need more and a higher intensity of lighting and of heat. So even as hatchlings, I personally vote no on this pairing.

As to getting your older redfoot a new friend. Are you doing this because you want another tortoise? Because from what we believe to be true, tortoises do not feel the need for another tortoise's companionship like a human does for the company of another. In fact you may be facing a lot of issues in the future if you try it, so if you do always be sure you can create two seperate enclosures, if needed. Now redfoots/cherry are one of the better types to try to have more then one living together, so that is a plus factor on your side.

So my personal opinion vote is:

No, to keeping the sulcata and redfoot hatchling together.
Yes, if you want to get a cherryhead hatchling and once it's larger trying to keep it with your current tortoise.

monkmonkey

5 Year Member
Wouldn't a 160w Powersun be sufficient for a sulcata? Your point about tortise compaionship surprised me. I did not know that. Something to think about.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I guess I should also make it clear that I, personally, am not so sure of what they feel about having company. In the wild, it would be another tortoise trying to eat all your limited food, stealing the prime basking spots, ect..,. Captivity changes that and life becomes an endless all you can eat buffet that never ends nor knows seasons in most cases. With many wild animals, when food is plenty they become less likely to keep moving on or being aggressive about forcing others out of their area. I can see that also being true of tortoises. I have with my own eyes witnessed things that sure looked like they were, if not wanting company, atleast not stressed or negative towards it. I have heard many stories that appear the same way. Here at my own shelldom, I keep almost all animals in either pairs or groups and have great luck with it. *shrugs* Others seem to have more issues with it. Until I meet somebody who can read tortoise's minds, I am not convenced they don't, if the times are good, want company. However any time more then one tortoise of any type, age, sex or size are kept together it adds another thing to watch for, worry about, and prepare for. It's down to what you believe and are willing to work for. It may not be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.