Share your favorite breeds!

Shaybe13

Location (City and/or State)
Roanoke, VA
Hey everyone! I currently own a year and a half old redfoot that I purchased from Southern Reptiles. He's thriving and I absolutely love his personality. I am looking into getting a second tortoise, but I live in an apartment and don't have space for a second giant enclosure for another year or so. What breeds do you enjoy that would be small enough to stay in large tupperware container for a year? I still have the one I used for my redfoot when he was a hatchling and I believe it's 2' x 3'.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hey everyone! I currently own a year and a half old redfoot that I purchased from Southern Reptiles. He's thriving and I absolutely love his personality. I am looking into getting a second tortoise, but I live in an apartment and don't have space for a second giant enclosure for another year or so. What breeds do you enjoy that would be small enough to stay in large tupperware container for a year? I still have the one I used for my redfoot when he was a hatchling and I believe it's 2' x 3'.
None.
I can't recommend keeping any species of tortoise in Tupperware for a year.
A gigantic plastic tote? Maybe. (And I see that THAT'S what you're referring to)
But still. I can't recommend any long term apartment tortoise.
Are you sure you aren't already out of space? A Redfoot needs pretty specific care. And most of it is very hard to duplicate indoors

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. No species is going to last a year in something that small if it is healthy and growing normally. Maybe a star tortoise could last that long, but its pushing it...

I'd wait until you have moved and actually have the space;. Life has a way of changing your plans for you sometimes.

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
Thank you for all of your input, I will wait until I have a bigger space!

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
None.
I can't recommend keeping any species of tortoise in Tupperware for a year.
A gigantic plastic tote? Maybe. (And I see that THAT'S what you're referring to)
But still. I can't recommend any long term apartment tortoise.
Are you sure you aren't already out of space? A Redfoot needs pretty specific care. And most of it is very hard to duplicate indoors
Thank you for your input! I posted photos of my redfoot's enclosure awhile back, it should suit him for at least the next few years. I also bring him outside frequently during the summer to roam.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you for your input! I posted photos of my redfoot's enclosure awhile back, it should suit him for at least the next few years. I also bring him outside frequently during the summer to roam.
If you can provide outside time, you can forego the UVB lamp altogether and just worry about your warmth (80 to 86ish)
And your humidity that needs to be over 70% 24/7