Decided on a Leopard tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkmonkey

5 Year Member
After careful research, I decided to get a Leopard tortise for my lifelong pet. For the last couple weeks I was almost certain on getting a Sulcata. I know I would have loved that Sulcata too. However, I decided not to simply because of their size. Eventhough Leopards get big to, they would not be big enough where I couldn't accomodate it.

My quest for a Leopard hatchling begins now. I am leaning toward a "high white" one. So beautiful!

ben awes

5 Year Member
monkmonkey said:
After careful research, I decided to get a Leopard tortise for my lifelong pet. For the last couple weeks I was almost certain on getting a Sulcata. I know I would have loved that Sulcata too. However, I decided not to simply because of their size. Eventhough Leopards get big to, they would not be big enough where I couldn't accomodate it.

My quest for a Leopard hatchling begins now. I am leaning toward a "high white" one. So beautiful!

Great choice! I came to the same decision 10 years ago. Got my gpp hatchling in 2003. I debated between several species and decided on the leopard because of the beauty, the fact that bot big (i wanted an impressive large tortoise) but not so big that i could not lift it, and it was not prone to burrowing. (word of warning - they are additive, after three years I had to have another, turned out to be male, and now I have babies of my own!)

They are awesome. Good luck with your search!

Ben

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Good choice - hope you don't become "addicted" like so many of us have.......then again, why not!?! They're great to have around!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Leopard is a great choice. Be sure to ask the breeder how it was kept. The hot and humid way and water available and soakings is really good. The old bad outdated way of hot and dry, I would stay away from. This is sometimes easily detected by pyramiding already present. Good luck on your search. Oh, and don't forget to read Toms threads below in my post for raising him healthy and smooth. The sulcata threads apply also.😀

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am so glad you thought it out. That is important because cute babies can become huge, like you said, with the darling sulcatas. Great tortoise, for lots-o-land. I love all leopards regardless of GPP or GPB ... their shells are works of art that changes. In our gardens, and homes, living works of art. Although, I do love all tortoises a lot. Oh to win that Powerball. : )

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Excellent choice! Leopards are great tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.