Sulcata Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Okay, so I was on a roll taking pics of my new baby leos so I figured I might as well take some pics of my other guys while they were out. Tonga thinks that the float on the rescue hero boat is some kind of scrumptious fruit I think! lol The second pic is Juna and the third is Roxy.
[img=640x480]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee69/jlyoncc1/DSC07449.jpg[/img]
[img=640x480]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee69/jlyoncc1/DSC07447.jpg[/img]
[img=640x480]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee69/jlyoncc1/DSC07443.jpg[/img]

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
jlyoncc1 said:
Okay, so I was on a roll taking pics of my new baby leos so I figured I might as well take some pics of my other guys while they were out. Tonga thinks that the float on the rescue hero boat is some kind of scrumptious fruit I think! lol The second pic is Juna and the third is Roxy.

nice torts.
do you have them free roaming about the house? o_O
how old are they?

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Those are great pics and sweet looking torts!!:cool:

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I let them roam around while I do housework, etc. and then they go back into their enclosure. They are about 3 1/2 yrs old. I love watching them.

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio, USA
They look just like my Simon...It makes me believe that he is actually closer to 3 or 4 since he is about the size of them, but we were told he is 7 years old. Nice Sulcatas! Simon roams our house when we are around as well. People just get a kick out of it!

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Nice looking torts. :) I wish I could have a sulcata but I'm in WI and I feel sulcatas need to be in a warmer climate and more space than I can provide....so I'll just love them from afar.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Tracy, I love them too! Although NJ is not the ideal place for them either, I am fortunated to have a huuuuggggeee basement and alot of property so that depending on the weather, they can wander around. Sadly, I have to find a new home for my one male. We were hoping we had 2 females and a male and it looks as though we are 2 males and 1 female and the big guy is bumping the other around. So, that will be my next task at hand.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Beautiful creatures! I just love the shell coloring on them. One day I am just going to have to break down and get one. :D That second picture looks like something carved out of wood to me. Great pictures and thanks so much for sharing them with us!!:):)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
You know Jacqui - the one in the second pic is the one I am going to be selling (reasonable) LOL!!!!!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Hey don't do that to me! You know I am just a weak tort person.:D:D

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Jacqui, Did I tell you how he (i'm pretty sure he) comes running when I come in the room and how when I am cleaning he tries to chew on my toes? Sooooooo........cute! LOL

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
jlyoncc1 said:
Jacqui, Did I tell you how he (i'm pretty sure he) comes running when I come in the room and how when I am cleaning he tries to chew on my toes? Sooooooo........cute! LOL

:p:p:p *holding my ears closed so I don't hear more*

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I just love looking at tort pics. Yours are beautiful. Shame you have to get rid of one. I'm sure you will find it a great home-maybe even with Jacqui if you keep tempting her :rolleyes:

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arn't you afraid of the Tort's peeing on the carpet? I just showed my wife the picture and she couldn/t imagine having our sulcatas walk around inside.

David

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Actually, one did. But fortunately I am getting new carpet. Most of my downstairs is laminate so they are not on the carpet that often. They cruise my whole downstairs. They love it and it's good to get them some exercise!

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wfie still says no way. If we had laminate flooring, maybe. Thanks

David

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
wow, those guys are sweet, do all sulcatas look like that? Or what kind are those? How big can they get? Is that as big as they will get?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great pics!! I let my wonder around also but I have to keep an eye on her because she's still small. She can't fit in and under everything!! Not to mention I have to watch the dog and two cats I have.
I wish I could take your male. I want another one. My husband says not right now (he's not an animal person)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
UMDRunner said:
wow, those guys are sweet, do all sulcatas look like that? Or what kind are those? How big can they get? Is that as big as they will get?

As ColdLiz stated in another post: "Yes they do get big. Males grow up to 30" and reach weights of over 120 pounds. Females reach 20 to 24" and weigh from 65 to 75 pounds."
Some you see in Zoos are Galapagos tortoises (largest) or Aldabras (2nd largest) these get really big, but Sulcatas are considered the 3rd largest, I believe.

As far as I know there is only one kind of Sulcata. The third one Dee has pic of is has some pyramiding. That is when their shells don't develop properly either by their being kept in the wrong environment or eating the wrong foods or a combo of things. Once a tort is pyramided they stay that way for life. A smooth shell is what is desired. But a tort pyramided shell or not is still a love. The little Sulcata (squirt) I am fostering has some pyramiding before she came to me and hopefully now that she is living under better conditions and eating a better diet she will not continue to have any more pyramiding and will live a long happy life. At least about 100 years.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Great pictures Dee :D The largest male and female I ever heard of were a 235lb male and a 190lb female pair.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.