Sulcata Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Thanks for the comments. Sadly, these guys were not fed properly before I got them (which was young) and when I first had them. I listened, like many here, to bad advice. They have been on a much better diet now and hopefully the pyramiding will cease. The male that I thought I would be getting rid of, now appears as though he will be staying. I had stated in another post (Robyn's) that I just can't part with him. And my hubby said " we will just have to build another enclosure and get him a girlfriend". So, I am hoping now to possibly get the female that Robyn is fostering once it warms up. They are sooo......sweet. I can't wait till the weather warms and I can take them out of their enclosure again. The floor is too cold now. But anyway, I love the way they follow you around. Now they make me guilty by standing on their back legs trying to climb up the sides saying "Take me out, take me out!" I love em!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Dee, I know what you mean. It will be hard to part with Squirt when the spring gets here. But my plan is to send her out to you. When it gets closer to spring we will make solid plans for her trip. She is doing great She hates her shots, Piddles on me when I flip her on her back to give it to her. But she has stopped pooing on me when I pick her up and she seems to enjoy her soaks more now, at least she isn’t afraid of them anymore. She is moving about more and wheezing less. I sit in the computer room where she is and work on the computer and talk to her-she is sooo shy. She used to keep herself tucked in tight when she saw me or heard my voice. But lately she seems to be looking at me and roaming more when I am around. I saw her eat some orchard hay today and her appetite for mixed greens has picked back up. She does have some pyramiding as think you could see in the pics. But she is so sweet how could anyone not just love her.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Robyn, I am really excited. I was down working in their room this morning and my hubby came in and I was talking about possibly getting her. The planning then commenced and we started talking about where we were building the outdoor enclosure and how big we could make it without taking trees down yet. I have 6 acres but most of it is wooded. So far where we are planning to make it, it will be 20' x 14'. Do you think if I divide that in half that it will be big enough for them for a couple of years? Juno, the one I would be putting in with her is approx. 3 1/2 years, 6.6 lbs. I figured we would put a center divider with a removeable panel in the middle for when they require the entire thing. I thought that was a pretty good size for as big as they are now. I am glad Squirt is feeling better. I hate giving shots too! I am almost done giving Juno his shots. I never flipped him over to do that though. I usually wedge a plastic spoon (looks like a wooden spoon) between his leg and shell so he can't pull it in while I do it. Their skin is so tough it makes me feel awful!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
jlyoncc1 said:
Robyn, I am really excited. I was down working in their room this morning and my hubby came in and I was talking about possibly getting her. The planning then commenced and we started talking about where we were building the outdoor enclosure and how big we could make it without taking trees down yet. I have 6 acres but most of it is wooded. So far where we are planning to make it, it will be 20' x 14'. Do you think if I divide that in half that it will be big enough for them for a couple of years? Juno, the one I would be putting in with her is approx. 3 1/2 years, 6.6 lbs. I figured we would put a center divider with a removeable panel in the middle for when they require the entire thing. I thought that was a pretty good size for as big as they are now. I am glad Squirt is feeling better. I hate giving shots too! I am almost done giving Juno his shots. I never flipped him over to do that though. I usually wedge a plastic spoon (looks like a wooden spoon) between his leg and shell so he can't pull it in while I do it. Their skin is so tough it makes me feel awful!

The size sounds huge. I'm sure she will be so happy there with Juno. She is currently in a 52" X20"x14" Plastic Rubbermaid type box. She is only 4.5 inches (SCL) and her weight is 15.2 oz. or 432gr. I'm sure you will probably want to change her name and that is fine with me in fact if you do and let me know what it will be I will start calling her so that she knows it when you get her.. I normally don't name my fosters but well…. you know the story. Thanks for the spoon idea. She liked to take my finger off when I captured her leg last night and she decided to pull it in hard. My finger was caught between her nails and her shell. Boy are they strong for being so little. I don’t’ have half the trouble giving my adult Greeks shots as I do her.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I like the name Squirt. Even though you named her Squirt for a different reason, she will be the "squirt" in my crew of sulcatas. I figured the spoon trick out real fast when I was at the vet and Juno almost broke my finger while I was holding his leg. My finger was wedged real good between his leg and his shell while the vet gave him his first one. It was bruised for a couple of days!

Status
Not open for further replies.