Sulcata in cold climates?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just a thought, maybe give him a warm soak every day for a while. Could possibly be a little dehydrated and his eyes could be looking a little sunken in? It's hard to see really if anything is going on with them, just a thought to get him hydrated and sure won't hurt him.

Delilah1623

Here are a couple more. I do think they are bothering him though. He doesn't seem to want to open them much. Hopefully he will heal up fast! 20141027_155017.jpg20141027_155706.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know, but he is too darn cute. I would give him a nice warm soak every day for about two weeks and while soaking, let some warm water run over his face and eyes. Like just cuffing some water in your hand and letting it run off his head and face. Also, be sure to have a warm humid hide for him to sleep in. The humdiity in the hide should be 80% with the temp at 80

Delilah1623

Thank you! He is pretty cute! Or she. Lol. I've been calling "it" Posey so hopefully it's a she.

I did give her a bath last night which she seemed to enjoy. I'll continue to make it a daily thing for the next couple weeks. I do have a hide of sphagnum moss that I've been putting her in at night and plugged in an extra heat lamp to keep the temps up.

M

Maggie Cummings

Did you stop using the coil bulb? You might put some Terramycin eye ointment in for a week or so and see if that doesn't help. I had a yearling Sulcata blinded by a coil bulb....

Delilah1623

Did you stop us8ing the coil bulb? You might put some Terramycin eye ointment in for a week or so and see if that doesn't help. I had a yearling Sulcata blinded by a coil bulb....

I have not used the coil bulb at all with her. They said she came with all the fixtures and lights but I bought her a new MVB ans CHE and new fixtures before she even arrived because i had no ides what lights they had and how old they were so i decided to start fresh. I did look at what they were using and it was a coil bulb. It was one of those dual dome fixtures. There is another bulb in there that looks like some kind of basking light but when i tried to unscrew it to take a look the whole socket just spins in the fixture.

It definitely seems like she can see but her eyes just look a little off to me. My other guys eyes always look big and bright and wide open. Hers seem squinty and i have hardly seen them open.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have not used the coil bulb at all with her. They said she came with all the fixtures and lights but I bought her a new MVB ans CHE and new fixtures before she even arrived because i had no ides what lights they had and how old they were so i decided to start fresh. I did look at what they were using and it was a coil bulb. It was one of those dual dome fixtures. There is another bulb in there that looks like some kind of basking light but when i tried to unscrew it to take a look the whole socket just spins in the fixture.

It definitely seems like she can see but her eyes just look a little off to me. My other guys eyes always look big and bright and wide open. Hers seem squinty and i have hardly seen them open.

That's from that bulb. She'll get better now that the bulb is gone, but I would still get some Terramycin eye ointment and use it some...

Delilah1623

Sounds good! I will pick some up for her. Is there a trick to getting it in her eyes if she won't come out of her shell for me? She's still pretty scared.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sounds good! I will pick some up for her. Is there a trick to getting it in her eyes if she won't come out of her shell for me? She's still pretty scared.

Poke her butt...
You'll have to get it from a feed store or on line...

Delilah1623

Poor tortoise lol. We have a Fleet Farm and Tractor Supply so I should be able to find it there. Thank you!

Delilah1623

She seems to be settling in fairly well. She is eating great, although I haven't seen her poop yet. She's been getting soaked every night. Her eyes seems like they are less painful too.

I decided it was time to measure and weigh her. She is currently 6.75" and 1018 grams.

I think it might be early yet but any ideas if "she" is really a she??

Thanks for any help! 20141101_185431.jpg20141101_185440.jpg

Smazril

5 Year Member
Central Oregon
I learned yesterday that if she is a he one day (in my case during his soak) his penis will come out and say surprise!
My tort is 10" long so a lot can change in the growth of yours. With changes in mind, Terry's anal scutes are aligned like your torts are. I've heard that anal scutes on females are spread more apart. But I don't know at what age they spread apart or if they always stay the same.
Mine was named Terry since I wasn't sure (until yesterday)what he was.

Delilah1623

Sounds like a nice surprise! I've read about that but haven't had the pleasure of seeing it happen yet. My russian tortoise is a boy for sure but so far he's been modest. I hope it stays that way!! Lol

I decided this one needed a girl name since the other 2 torts have boy names.... but my bf tells me there is a baseball player named Posey so I guess if it turns out to be a boy I'll just buy a Giants jersey and roll with it!

Smazril

5 Year Member
Central Oregon
Seeing one flash to know Terry is a boy was good. Now that I know, he can keep it to himself!
Hopefully Posey is a girl cause she probably wouldn't fair well as a Giants fan.... Aren't you in Brewers territory?!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Where abouts are you. My wife is a CVT/RVT as well. I only do PBR bullriding and football.